What's new

Thäter zwei-band: first impressions

I know a few of us have jumped on the Thäter zwei-band train, so as they start to roll in -- please, share your impressions!

This is the 4125/3 in ivory:

proxy.php

Just arrived today. A couple of quick observations:

• As predicted, there's no way the knot corresponds to the listed spec of 28mm. It's easily a 31mm knot; maybe closer to 32mm.
  • The tips are soft. How soft, I can't say. But I am eager to find out.

Gentlemen, have at it. :thumbup:

This will be a fun thread, franz. I have the 4125/1 24mm brush coming in from Straight Razor Designs. I also have the Straight Razor Place group-buy brush coming sometime in the next few weeks. I look forward to your thoughts on this brush, franz. One quick question, though: Is the new logo laser-etched into the handle, or just printed?

Last edited:
I was planning on getting the 28mm knot,now I believe I will go for the 26mm to get a 28mm knot.
I would love to see a pic after the brush blooms.

WISH I had known they would be released. I got in in the limited buy b/c I thought they wouldn't be out for a while.

Here is a quick cell phone picture of my pair of 4125/1 Thaters. My picture doesn't do either brush justice :001_tt1: I'll post some thoughts after the maiden voyage tomorrow morning - can't imagine it will be anything less than awesome.

Unfortunately, the logo is NOT laser etched. FAIL.

proxy.php

Last edited:
not laser etched? for a brush that expensive...seems kinda half assed. if you arent going to do it right....

Personally, I d0n't like etching on a shave brush. I think it takes away the natural look of a brush. There's nothing like an old school Simpson that doesn't have a mark on it..

I think Rudy's etching on the bottom of the handle is by far the best looking and most elegant way to 'brand' a brush.

Thater can get away with putting NOTHING on the octognal handles and everybody (on this forum at least) will know what it is.

But HOLY COW is that knot dense. I know how dense the Caravela is, and it looks like it pales in comparison.

That's awesome, Jeremy! They make a great couple. :001_wub:

This will be a fun thread, franz. I have the 4125/1 24mm brush coming in from Straight Razor Designs. I also have the Straight Razor Place group-buy brush coming sometime in the next few weeks. I look forward to your thoughts on this brush, franz. One quick question, though: Is the new logo laser-etched into the handle, or just printed?

Like the man says, the new Thäter logo is not laser etched. Mine has a couple of tiny imperfections. I am not too fussy about logos, though.

Really looking forward to seeing some of the other zwei-bands. I know there is a bulb shape too, as well as different handle styles...

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does a fan-shaped Thaeter look wrong somehow? Isn't it also interesting that whereas Simpson opts for a bulb shaped two band brush and Thaeter goes for the fan?

Is it just me, or does a fan-shaped Thaeter look wrong somehow? Isn't it also interesting that whereas Simpson opts for a bulb shaped two band brush and Thaeter goes for the fan?

Thäter has both fan and bulb 2-band, your choice. But the fan, at least in these larger knots, looks pretty flat top. I've seen an actual photo of a 24mm fan and it looks like a fan, not as flat top.

Here are some pics pre-bloom next to my M&F 2-band:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are some pre-bloom pics next to my Rooney XL, Rooney 1/2 Finest and Shavemac D01 2-band:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I went with the 26/49 mm fan and as you can see, this is one dense pupa. I would place the density pre-bloom in between the XL and Finest. I'll be using mine in about 4 hours and will report in the morning on its performance.

My 4125/1 arrived today and as I have a 7 a.m. meeting I decided to go ahead and give the brush a spin. Following are some photos next to my 4125/1 3-band and custom Shavemac.

My initial impressions of the brush are that the hair is very soft and has very little "scritch." Obviously the hair is not as soft as its 3-band brother, but it is much softer than my Shavemac D01 2-band. While I no longer own a Rooney XL1, out of the other 2-bands I have owned over the years it seems to come closest. The brush has a lot of backbone and when fully lathered it has that gel-like feeling that many have described when using the Rooney XL brushes. Even on my third pass there was essentially no scritch detected. Suffice to say I think the Germans have won me over. :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First pass
proxy.php

Second pass
proxy.php

Third pass
proxy.php

Post shave
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My 4125/1 arrived today and as I have a 7 a.m. meeting I decided to go ahead and give the brush a spin. Following are some photos next to my 4125/1 3-band and custom Shavemac.

My initial impressions of the brush are that the hair is very soft and has very little "scritch." Obviously the hair is not as soft as its 3-band brother, but it is much softer than my Shavemac D01 2-band. While I no longer own a Rooney XL1, out of the other 2-bands I have owned over the years it seems to come closest. The brush has a lot of backbone and when fully lathered it has that gel-like feeling that many have described when using the Rooney XL brushes. Even on my third pass there was essentially no scritch detected. Suffice to say I think the Germans have won me over. :001_smile

That Shavemac extreme flat top reminds me that I need to get another with a higher loft (mine is a 24/42 stubby little feller).

Top Bottom