What's new

Private Plisson goes Public (a Plisson appreciation thread)

In honour of being appointed the title: "Private Plisson" (albeit generic, randomly assigned and possibly for the second time) I thought this the perfect excuse/time to share my collection of Plisson brushes and invite members to do the same.

full

Plisson Genuine Horn High Mountain White Size 12, Size 20 (Bicentenary Limited Edition) and Size 24 (Dubbed a "Collector's Brush" and since I ordered this one it no longer appears on the Plisson website).

full

Plisson Plexi Size 20 in HMW (custom made in January 2008 for another member - usually only available in EW).
Genuine Ivory Size 14 in 2 band European White (4 only custom made in September 2011).
Genuine Ivory Size 20 High Mountain White.

I also have from Plisson an imitation tortoise EW size 12 , black handle EW size 10 and a white handle EW size 12 (pictured below).

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2011-10-11 at 6.15.52 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2011-10-11 at 6.15.52 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 739
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quick photo of my three, two size 16 and a size 12 all two band HMW. I had a beautiful size 14 with an outstanding horn handle but did not like nearly as much so it went down the road. The size 16 is the ultimate brush for me handling either soap or cream with ease, although I am beginning to appreciate the M&F brushes too.

Attachments

• $P1010266.JPG
    $P1010266.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 719
  • $P1010268.JPG
    $P1010268.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 719
My sweet dear god those are beautiful. The ivory ones I would love to see in person because I know photos lose something when it comes to ivory. You guys are lucky gents with all those fine brushes.

Here is a quick photo of my three, two size 16 and a size 12 all two band HMW. The size 16 is the ultimate brush for me handling either soap or cream with ease, although I am beginning to appreciate the M&F brushes too.

Beautiful brushes Al, thanks for sharing. I think you might be on to something with the size 16, for me 14 is too small and 20 is getting on the larger side, perhaps a 16 in Plexi or horn might be next on the agenda...

(M&F certainly represent good value for money and are generally my go to brushes)

The ivory ones I would love to see in person because I know photos lose something when it comes to ivory.

You are right, the ivory has a beautiful fine grain that although providing a textual quality to the brush it is very difficult to illustrate in a photograph. Besides the aesthetic element, the weight to the ivory handle is extremely satisfying too as it provides a very solid and confident feeling in the hand. I feel very blessed to have been able to acquire two specimens and without the prospect of two sons to hand then down to I probably wouldn't have been able to justify the expense.

Ben, the 14 that I had was on the floppy side while the 12 and 16 are just right. As you can see the knot on the darker size 16 horn is very full while the other is more of a conical shape. They don't work all that much differently and I suppose it's BAD at its worst to have two of the same size but when the second one became available on the sale forum a couple of years ago I couldn't hold back and have never regretted it. I hate to think how many brushes have gone through my hands but these Plissons are wonderful brushes even though the price tag is outrageous. I was fortunate in that the dark handled 16 was actually obtained through AoS when they had a big clearance on their brushes and I saved quite a bit on the purchase price. The 12 was one of the last two band HMW available in the US when I bought it as it seemed Plisson was going to three band on the smaller brushes. I haven't kept track to see if they have started making them in two band again.

Ben, the 14 that I had was on the floppy side while the 12 and 16 are just right. As you can see the knot on the darker size 16 horn is very full while the other is more of a conical shape. They don't work all that much differently and I suppose it's BAD at its worst to have two of the same size but when the second one became available on the sale forum a couple of years ago I couldn't hold back and have never regretted it.

I can't see any harm in having two in the same size. If anything you are doing the responsible thing in ensuring their longevity by rotating between the two; therefore I can understand fully and agree that you should have no regrets!

The 12 was one of the last two band HMW available in the US when I bought it as it seemed Plisson was going to three band on the smaller brushes. I haven't kept track to see if they have started making them in two band again.

Plisson now only seem to have the two band in European White and at the moment only in size 12 horn.

http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161058.sf/en_US/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=22867287&Page=2

Very nice brushes Ben. I have been able to resist the slippery slope that is Plisson until now...... :wink2:

My one and only Plisson. I was lucky enough to get it from a member who dealt directly with Plisson to get a 2-band #12 made, as they only put their 2-band HMW in the larger brushes these days. It quickly became my "go-to" brush and converted me to a face latherer in no time. I love it!

full

Love em, is the third picture brush in the centre (black) having a sokid handle or hollow?

The black handle is from Plisson's acrylic range. Although hand turned, it feels extremely "plastic" and very light weight. When I first acquired the brush I was disappointed with it's lack of weight and almost "cheap" feel. I think it is likely hollow inside given it's light weight. The heaviest part of the brush is the metal gold ring that holds the bristles in place. The octagonal design is comfortable to hold and it's light weight makes it an ideal travel brush.

full

Top Bottom