What's new

Shampoo or cleanser for scalp?

I try to alternate shampoos every couple of days to help reduce build-up on my fine, thinning hair. I don't use any conditioner. However, I tend to have a build-up of dry skin that accumulates in tiny little specks.

Anyone have any product recommendations that will keep my thin hair from being weighted down, but also cleanse my scalp or moisturize my scalp to reduce or eliminate the "speckular" dry skin?

Have you tried Shampoo Bars yet? I have some on the way to try myself, They seem to get good reviews all over B&B...

Short of that, I have found that Nutri-Ox from Sally Beauty Supply is better than most store bought shampoos on my thinning hair. Suave Professional PH Balanced was not too bad either, for a break here and there, I think it rinses better than most cheaper shampoos! The Suave is very affordable.

Have you tried hair tonic? I've been using Jeris for about a year now, and its done wonders for my itchy scalp.

I have dandruff and I have found that wetting the hair, lathering up some dandruff shampoo, and then waiting for 20+ mins to shower it off helps. I have a hand held shower head, lean over the tub, and I just wet the top of my head (not too much) before lathering. It becomes more of a thick paste and sits in my hair without running down my neck/face. After 30 mins or so, I jump back in and take my shower. Yeah, I look like an idiot sitting at my computer with a pasty, lathered head but it helps control my mild dandruff. Most people let a shampoo sit in the hair a few mins before they rinse it off and it isn't long enough for the chemicals to work (so I've heard).

I also use a good, stiff, military-type brush to scrub my head to knock off any accumulations. Again, I do this after dinner if I know I'm not going out that night.

I use dandruff shampoo every other day. For the days in between, I use a good moisturizing conditioner for the hair.

Go to Chagrin Valley soaps website, and find yourself some Shampoo bars. I recommend trying a few sample bars your first time around, they last a while I have read.

3 days in and I am hooked, Love how clean my hair/scalp feels after using them. No chemicals. Great scents (I really like herb/earthy scents).

I am glad that I finally tried shampoo bars. No more putting degreaser/surfactants like SLS in my hair or on my body (when I have the choice).

Top Bottom