What's new

Post-doctoral lathering techniques

Brother Ouch,

If the Earth rotates counter clockwise, and it does, wouldn't a fired artillary shell in the northern hemisphere land slightly to the west of its target, not to the east??

The earth is spinning away to the east, so by the time the bullet lands the planet has moved slightly to the east, meaning the bullet will land slightly west of where you aimed. (Or something like that.) I assume if you shoot due west, the bullet will seem to travel slightly faster. (Or something like that.) I assume if you shoot due east you're likely to hit your neighbor's house.

Last edited:
In his compendious treatise on lathering, our esteemed Mr. Scotto failed to account for the Coriolis effect.

Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis was a relatively unknown physicist, but he was no slouch- he introduced the terms kinetic energy and work. He is best known for explaining the force named after him, which affects bodies in rotation. It is the force responsible for falling objects landing slightly east of their expected target, and must be accounted for in the trajectories of artillery and airline flights. The Coriolis effect causes storms, tornados, and hurricanes to rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. It is also (theoretically) responsible for the direction of spin of water going down a drain, although in practice it hasn't enough effect at this level to make a difference. (This hasn't stopped hucksters and charlatans from trying to make a quick buck, and has even been featured on The Simpsons, where Bart flushes a toilet in Australia.)

So what the hell does this have to do with shaving? Simple- I'm left handed, and finally catch a break. Southpaws swish their brushes counterclockwise, which is slightly aided by the force of Coriolis in the northern hemisphere, where I happily reside. All of you clockwise churning righties have to battle this force. So, when your lather is less than satisfactory, don't blame it on your brush. You're just living in the wrong hemisphere. All you have to do is move south of the equator and become kiwi farmers, and you'll have all the lucious lather you'd ever want. Hmmm. Kiwi shave cream.

Any truly dedicated shaving fan wouldn't hesitate to move lock, stock, and barrel to a locale that was more conducive to a good shave.:tongue_sm Get packin'.
Yeah, but how long should I soak my brush?

In his compendious treatise on lathering, our esteemed Mr. Scotto failed to account for the Coriolis effect.

Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis was a relatively unknown physicist, but he was no slouch- he introduced the terms kinetic energy and work. He is best known for explaining the force named after him, which affects bodies in rotation. It is the force responsible for falling objects landing slightly east of their expected target, and must be accounted for in the trajectories of artillery and airline flights. The Coriolis effect causes storms, tornados, and hurricanes to rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. It is also (theoretically) responsible for the direction of spin of water going down a drain, although in practice it hasn't enough effect at this level to make a difference. (This hasn't stopped hucksters and charlatans from trying to make a quick buck, and has even been featured on The Simpsons, where Bart flushes a toilet in Australia.)

So what the hell does this have to do with shaving? Simple- I'm left handed, and finally catch a break. Southpaws swish their brushes counterclockwise, which is slightly aided by the force of Coriolis in the northern hemisphere, where I happily reside. All of you clockwise churning righties have to battle this force. So, when your lather is less than satisfactory, don't blame it on your brush. You're just living in the wrong hemisphere. All you have to do is move south of the equator and become kiwi farmers, and you'll have all the lucious lather you'd ever want. Hmmm. Kiwi shave cream.

Any truly dedicated shaving fan wouldn't hesitate to move lock, stock, and barrel to a locale that was more conducive to a good shave.:tongue_sm Get packin'.

Thats "DOCTOR Scotto" mister!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Actually, I believe it depends on whether you're firing towards or away from the equator.

$northsouth.GIF

The Earth rotates to the east at an effectively constant angular velocity, but different latitudes have different linear speeds. A point at the equator has to go farther in a day than a point in Ohio, so it must go faster. However, when an object starts to move north or south and is not firmly connected to the ground (air, artillery fire, etc) then it maintains its initial eastward speed as it moves. An object leaving the equator will retain the eastward speed of other objects at the equator, but if it travels far enough it will no longer be going east at the same speed the ground beneath it is.
The result is that an object travelling away from the equator will be heading east faster than the ground and will seem to be forced east by some mysterious force. Objects travelling towards the equator will be going more slowly than the ground beneath them and will seem to be forced west. In reality there is no actual force involved, the ground is simply moving at a different speed than the object is "used to".

Consider the diagram above. The orange arrow represents some object sent north from the equator. By the time it reaches the labeled northern latitude, it's gone farther east than a point on the ground would have, since it kept its eastward speed from where it started. Similarly, the yellow arrow started away from the equator at a slower eastward speed, and doesn't go as far east as the ground at the equator...seeming to deflect west from the point of view of the ground.

(The above is from some geeky site.)

Last edited:
Maybe it was the Coriolis effect which enabled me to get up a good lather while visiting Finland (Helsinki), Russia (St. Petersburg), and Estonia (Tallin) the week of 19 -- 26 May with minimal clockwise rotation of my shaving brush in a circular tub of Proraso Green. Had five BBS shaves that week.

Now, what happens when one is standing, or sailing, directly on the equator?

Actually, I believe it depends on whether you're firing towards or away from the equator.

View attachment 454939

The Earth rotates to the east at an effectively constant angular velocity, but different latitudes have different linear speeds. A point at the equator has to go farther in a day than a point in Ohio, so it must go faster. However, when an object starts to move north or south and is not firmly connected to the ground (air, artillery fire, etc) then it maintains its initial eastward speed as it moves. An object leaving the equator will retain the eastward speed of other objects at the equator, but if it travels far enough it will no longer be going east at the same speed the ground beneath it is.
The result is that an object travelling away from the equator will be heading east faster than the ground and will seem to be forced east by some mysterious force. Objects travelling towards the equator will be going more slowly than the ground beneath them and will seem to be forced west. In reality there is no actual force involved, the ground is simply moving at a different speed than the object is "used to".

Consider the diagram above. The orange arrow represents some object sent north from the equator. By the time it reaches the labeled northern latitude, it's gone farther east than a point on the ground would have, since it kept its eastward speed from where it started. Similarly, the yellow arrow started away from the equator at a slower eastward speed, and doesn't go as far east as the ground at the equator...seeming to deflect west from the point of view of the ground.

(The above is from some geeky site.)

This is getting too complicated for the average shaver. I'm gonna have to confer with that scientific brother-in-law of mine who doesn't understand the joys of shaving.

In the meantime let's resolve our conversation about the Coriolis Effect, and declare it doesn't exist and that the world is flat, a truth that has been hidden for 500 years by "they."

There is too much win in this thread...

I also agree that there is a strong correlation between, speed + direction you work your lather = # of tornados in your area! :w00t:

And all that lather is undoubtably responsible for the severe drought conditions being experienced all over the globe. We ARE the enemy???? :001_huh:

Wow, really? Having heard that, I know I will sleep better tonight, I had been staying up wondering if there was anything to make left handed shavers lives easier.

That would have posed quite a quandry if true. Can you imagine being enthroned on one of Mr. Crapper's fine facilites at the equator?:lol:

Wouldn't that provide you with a 'straight' flush. What's not to like? And if you're in the line of succession, a 'royal' flush.

Oh, and by the way won't the tendency of an artillery shell to deviate also be influenced by the direction of the barrel's rifling twist. Twist will even affect some small arm projectiles flight paths at long range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom