What's new

Making a hone

I finished surfing the other day and whilst relaxing watching the waves afterwards, looked around and nearly died. There was so much stone about that "looked" like natural hones that I got pretty excited. I don't know how to identify them but they look a bit like sandstone. Some much much finer though. I'll try and get a photo. The reality is also that I'm too new at this to even consider it right now but maybe a few years from now, assuming the stone is fine I know where I'll be able to get some rocks to start with.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
checked out a utube vid sweet break look like its off that point? lucky you to have it near by. Saw some rocks but got distracted by the Sheila.:w00t:

Last edited:
Here are some COnats (Colorado naturals) that I'm working with. On the left is a piece of slate found in an old railroad cut, not sure if it is natural to that location. On the right is a piece of sandstone from the Dakota group. The latter shows great promise as a finisher. The Dakota group is exposed for a couple of hundred miles along the front range, so there is plenty of exploring to do to find the best hones in this group.
View attachment 485207
The slate on the left did a great job on a kitchen cleaver, though it seems to have some soft inclusions that erode faster than the surrounding stone. The sandstone on the right that I was so exited about has lost some of it's luster. I had touched up a junk straight and done a test shave which felt great. Then yesterday, I tried touching up another razor that's in my weekly rotation and severely set back the edge. I ended up re setting the bevel and finished on synthetics. When I look at the first razor I had done with it, I don't see any of the deep scratches that I got on my second attempt.

Yup, still trying to figure out what the heck it is. Doesn't fizz with vinegar so it's not limestone. Too hard to be sandstone I think, plus it's not absorbent at all hardly, sandstone is always pretty porous I believe. One fellow said maybe siltstone, but I'm not familiar with that at all, still need to look it up.

Haha, that Dino sure must have eaten a lot of wicked abrasive snacks! Would have had to be a big sucker too, not sure how many dinos dropped yellow bricks this size. :lol:

I found another Colorado stone that shows promise. I have taken to carrying a small cold chisel with me when hiking to test the cutting power of likely looking rocks. I just spit on a flat place and see how quickly the slurry darkens when rubbing with the chisel.

Oh yeah, don't bother trying travertine, it's waaaay too soft and not very abrasive. I tried some since it was mentioned here. Definitely not the same stuff as the stone I found. I think it may be quartzite.

At the start of lapping I did a little cut test on the first smooth place with a wood chisel, to see if it was worth continuing. You can see a little bit of darkened swarf.
$DSCN0988.jpg
A little farther along in the lapping. This stone is much harder than my last one.
$DSCN0989.jpg

EDIT; I had enough flat area to test with a razor. The scratch pattern was about the same as a fine carborundom, but it was a much slower cutter than that. So no need to lap anymore as it would not even be useful for knives. Back to the trails.

Last edited:
Came home with 4 samples to try while driving into Wyo. for work. The most promising was a chunk of green slate at a road cut. I did not have much time for collecting so I just grabbed a piece about 5"x 5" x 8". When I got home, I tried to cleave off a hone size piece and most of the chunk broke into ice cube size pieces :mad3:. A couple pieces are big enough to lap and test assuming that they don't continue to break apart. I made a note of where I got this incase the sample still shows promise after lapping. Even if it falls apart I think I can go back and 'work the vein' to some better rock.

Came home with 4 samples to try while driving into Wyo. for work. The most promising was a chunk of green slate at a road cut. I did not have much time for collecting so I just grabbed a piece about 5"x 5" x 8". When I got home, I tried to cleave off a hone size piece and most of the chunk broke into ice cube size pieces :mad3:. A couple pieces are big enough to lap and test assuming that they don't continue to break apart. I made a note of where I got this incase the sample still shows promise after lapping. Even if it falls apart I think I can go back and 'work the vein' to some better rock.

Can you stabilize a larger piece by bonding to a piece of tile?
Phil

Top Bottom