What's new

Brush Wars discussion Thread for Shavemac 25MM Silvertip Faux Tortoise Review....

Great review Joel. A custom Shavemac 23mm Persian Jar in their Finest Badger was the first higher-end brush I ever purchased after joining here. It quickly relegated my Col. Conk pure badger and even my C&E best to 2nd tier status. It could be argued that anything not being a "a soul touching implement", "a bit cold to the touch", but being an "exceptional tool" is classically Teutonic in nature and appeal.

Not that I needed to feel better about it, but my recent purchase of an Acura MDX and reading your review brought a smile to my face.:smile:

I have a Shavemac 167 and I cant say enough about it. It is my go to brush. Day in and day out it works like a deal and didnt break the bank. If I had to have only one brush it would be a shavemac!

The shavemaces are solid brushes. I have no complains with with mine, but from what I hear the older shavemacs pre 2005 (July?) are denser and better.
I was wondering if there anyone has any pictures comparing the old vs new shavemacs

The shavemaces are solid brushes. I have no complains with with mine, but from what I hear the older shavemacs pre 2005 (July?) are denser and better.
I was wondering if there anyone has any pictures comparing the old vs new shavemacs

HERE is a review of one I did, which has quite a few pictures in it which should show you the difference. It is actually denser than a chubby!

If you want/need actual side by side pics - lemme know and i'll take a few. :smile:

HERE is a review of one I did, which has quite a few pictures in it which should show you the difference. It is actually denser than a chubby!

If you want/need actual side by side pics - lemme know and i'll take a few. :smile:

Thanks for the link to the review of the older shavemac.

Looking pictures of the brush you can EASILY tell the difference in the density compared to the new shavemacs. Even the hair on the older ones seems to be of better quality.

Thanks for the info, I have always wondered about the differences between the old and new smacs.

Wonder what happened to cause such change.

So Joel, seeing as how I am in the market for my first Silvertip brush and was considering the exact brush you reviewed here, how would you say the "new" Shavemacs compare to the old? I am very curious what your thoughts are. Also, do you like the look of the faux horn or tortoise better? :D

So Joel, seeing as how I am in the market for my first Silvertip brush and was considering the exact brush you reviewed here, how would you say the "new" Shavemacs compare to the old? I am very curious what your thoughts are. Also, do you like the look of the faux horn or tortoise better? :D

I like the faux horn significantly more than a faux tortoise... I am not a fan of this type of faux tortoise - it's not tortoise like at all.

Personally, I much - much prefer the old style of Shavemacs, but alas, they are no longer available. Bernd has been approached many times and asked if he could source the old style hair again, and each time he's said "no" - so while I do like the older shavemacs more, they aren't a real viable option. :frown:

Thanks for the info! It's a shame things changed, but what can you do I suppose? As I understand it, Savile Rows are nearly identical to the new Shavemacs in terms of density (which is still very good). Do you agree with that?

Thanks for the info! It's a shame things changed, but what can you do I suppose? As I understand it, Savile Rows are nearly identical to the new Shavemacs in terms of density (which is still very good). Do you agree with that?

I feel the savile rows are a little denser.

Personally I much prefer the Savile Row.

Nice Review. I especially like the observation about lack of soul. I've felt the same way. I have a 501 finest in tortise. Reminds me of my Raybans. Kidding aside, it's a great brush and the tortise handle is very contemporary as oppsed to classic looking. i'm looking forward to buying a silvertip. I feel the handle on the 501 is a little too small and the 429 is only 3mm. taller. A small difference. I know now that i would want a handle that is taller. Thanks Joel.

Top Bottom