What's new

Brush Wars discussion Thread for Kent BK4 Review....

Couple of questions - why the BK4 as opposed to the larger variants?

How do you compare the BK4 to the BK2?

The handle alone makes want to buy one of these brushes!

Great review.

Great review.

The larger variants would be too large for the "Brush War" sample group.

As far as the BK4 VS BK2 - the BK2 is going to be a little stiffer, with a more abrasive feel at the tip. Personally I like the BK4 better, as it is pure luxury.

As far as purchasing one.... might want to hold off for a little bit, I'll shoot you a PM :wink:

Thanks for the reviews Joel! Nice job! Was waiting for some reviews and info on the BK4... it is only my second brush but I am really pleased with it, good to see it holds up in comparison to other brushes. I won't have to develop SBAD just yet I guess :biggrin:.

My first post on B&B raises the question of a source for Kent brushes. Ordering directly from Kent seems to be a reasonable option. Does anyone recommend a US alternative, at least in terms of price?

My first post on B&B raises the question of a source for Kent brushes. Ordering directly from Kent seems to be a reasonable option. Does anyone recommend a US alternative, at least in terms of price?

I think the US distributor keeps the prices jacked high. I've never heard of a reasonably priced US source.

I think the US distributor keeps the prices jacked high. I've never heard of a reasonably priced US source.

Even better than Kent - I've used Auravita before and they're quite good.

http://www.auravita.com/Brands/AURA/Kent.asp?lstCategory=1822_Mens+shaving_Level2&txtSearchWord=&sortby=&sortdirection=

The shipping for a brush is quite reasonable (6 - 7 pounds) and, in addition to the great price on the brushes, if you're outside of the EC, you get to take the VAT off the price as well (17.5%). While you're at it, you can toss in a shave stick or two, or a puck of Kent soap (same as MWF) for not much more shipping.

Happy shopping!

http://www.auravita.com/Brands/AURA/Kent.asp?lstCategory=1822_Mens+shaving_Level2&txtSearchWord=&sortby=&sortdirection=

The shipping for a brush is quite reasonable (6 - 7 pounds) and, in addition to the great price on the brushes, if you're outside of the EC, you get to take the VAT off the price as well (17.5%). While you're at it, you can toss in a shave stick or two, or a puck of Kent soap (same as MWF) for not much more shipping.

Happy shopping!

That is where I got mine... They were running a discount at the time as well :001_cool:.

I had no problems ordering mine directly from
Kent online. Prompt shipping, and of course
the brush comes in beautiful packaging.

- Scott

Happy shopping!

+1

They delayed shipping a week; but, it arrived a week from the date of actual shipping, all the way across the pond and the US. Not bad!

At first I went to the Classic Barbershop nearby, but they did not sell Kent brushes. When on holidays in the UK (not London), I looked around in a number of shops that were listed in the Kent website as stockists, but to no avail.

Finally I ordered at the Kent Website. Communication was not to great (one confirmation that was it, no shipment dates or updates). The shipping costs were quite reasonable.

I am very pleased with the BK4 I have.
Before I had a Williams Pure Badger, which I liked as well, but it of course does not compare to the feel of luxury one gets from a silvertip.

One thing I've noticed with my BK4 is that I think this brush would be best described as a silvertip badger, but Kent lists it as pure badger on the handle....I realize there is no universal standard, but why is there a difference? If this were a Simpsons, it would be described as either Best or Super... If there are higher grades of hair in a Kent, would this brush be seen as a lower end model?

Someone posted, in another thread, that the BK4 is a Silvertip. I bought one based on the review here.

It's phenomenal.

I was in Schiller's Pharmacy in Pittsburgh, PA last December and although he still had some Kent brushes, he was running low. I took it to be the season. You might give them a call. That deal out of England sounds good too.

Its my understanding that the "Pure" means that Kent uses 100% badger hair instead of a mix of Badger and Boar hairs in their brush. It does not reflect the grade of hair.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the tip. That was $13 lower than what Kent was asking. Got my BK4 yesterday.

From all Ive read thus far, the Kent BK4 seems to be between a Vulfix and Rooney in terms of stiffness. Is this correct? Been looking at getting a BK4 or EJ Super, Ive heard much more about the Kent than the EJ. Where would the EJ Super belong in all these compared to the BK4 since they are in the same price range for me. Thanks for any comments.

Based on this review and other posts on B&B I decided to order a KB4 yesterday. Now enter the waiting-game. I am quite exited and looking forward to trying it out.

Regards.

Jakob

Going back through this. Looking at picking up the bk4. Is this knot a 22mm or 24mm? Loft?

Great review.

Top Bottom