What's new

Meerschaum?

Okay, I know what it is, but is there a particular benefit to meerschaum vs. briar? Would one of you seasoned pipe guys enlighten me as to why one might prefer one vs. the other?

Benefits of a meerschaum
Doesn't require breaking in
No need to build a cake (you really don't want a cake at all)
Won't flavor the smoke (perfect for trying out a new baccy and seeing what it really tastes like)
Don't ghost to the same degree as briar
They don't require resting. You can smoke bowl after bowl
Turns a pretty amber color as it absorbs baccy juices (looks especially nice on a smooth meer IMO)
Are very light in weight
Will not burn
Able to obtain very detailed carvings

Cons:
Will break if you drop it
Your hand oils can stain the pipe (especially when it's warmed up because the wax coating on the outside is melty/softer)

Check out this site for real block meerschaum pipes
http://www.tobacco-barn.com/s-79-meerschaum-pipes.aspx

Hope this helps ya out

Last edited:
what whikker bikky said. Also, their neutrality and absorption means that many tobaccos will taste differently in a meerschaum than in a pipe of a different material. There are tobaccos that I really like in a meer and don't really care for in a briar. This effect is true for all the major classes of pipes btw, there are tobaccos that I don't like in a meer but love in a briar (etc for cobs, calabashes, and morta).

I agree generally but would add they don't need to rest as much. If you smoke several bowls a day every day in the same pipe it will eventually saturate with moisture and once saturation occurs it will require a long rest to dry. But a couple bowls and a day or two off is fine. Also I make sure my hands are clean but I don't do anything else while smoking and my meer have never stained, but I rewax every so often. You can definitely tell which are my English meer from scent and taste so they do ghost a bit.

I would agree with everyone unless you are talking Tanzanian block Meerschaum, in which case it can be heavy and pre-baked so much more durable. I use a nice African Thompson when I am testing new tobacco's or lazy.

:
Okay, I know what it is, but is there a particular benefit to meerschaum vs. briar? Would one of you seasoned pipe guys enlighten me as to why one might prefer one vs. the other?

You're already hooked on a pipe and you don't even have one yet, aren't you?:biggrin1:
I like meers, but I'm not sure you would want one for a first pipe. They can be a bit on the delicate side, you might just want to get a corncob pipe and some tobacco and get started. At least if you don't enjoy it or you destroy it, you're only out about $10.00

:

You're already hooked on a pipe and you don't even have one yet, aren't you?:biggrin1:

Guilty!

I'm not shopping yet or anything, but I have been doing some reading. I tend to do a bunch of homework before I jump in, but yeah it's not a question of "if", it's more "when" (and, umm...how much :001_unsur).

Top Bottom