What's new

Over stropping?

Is there any benefit to stropping more than like 50 or 60 passes? Is going up to like 100 or 150 just a waste of time and effort?:bored:

I tend to notice a difference between the shave after 40 passes and the shave after 80 passes and frequently stop 100 passes. I think after a point it becomes redundant, but I've not figured out where that point lies yet

Good question. I never really count the passes when I strop. I probably do 50-60 or more. The only time I have noticed a big difference after doing a lot of passes was the first time I used my synthetic strop made by Tony Miller. I was so excited that I did a lot of passes...

I over stropped, and was pulling hair out of my face rather than cutting it off. Bad technique + a lot of passes = (sarcastic remark for a bad shave)

I doubt there is any benefit from stropping more than 20 or so, at least for me. No harm in doing more, however, as long as you do it right.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I see stropping as filling a cup of water drip by drip by drip. At one point the cup will be full of water, but 10 before that point and 10 drips past that point really won't make much of a difference. I find the sweet spot to be 30 linen and at least 40 on leather. More might be better, but 40 works well enough. Time wise 40 laps vs 80 laps are within tens of seconds of each other, so it's not a matter of time or effort. If you like going for 150 go for it...it's never a waste if you like doing it.

That's probably about right for me too, but I don't count. I usually hum a verse of a song on linen, then the next one on leather. Plus a couple more for good measure and I'm good-to-go!

Legion

Staff member
I do a few on linen if the blade has not been used for a while or has had oil on it, just to make sure it is clean. Then fifty on leather. Seems to work well and it is a round number.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
wow!! i only strop a handful of times on linen, leather, and another leather. (maybe 6 each way?)

If you add 4 more passes on each you would be at 30. I would hazard a guess that a few more passes may improve your edge. BUT if it ain't broke...;)

that is true. i am forgetting i use 2/3 different strops, so that does add up. plus,, i am only guestamating...
i doubt i would even notice a difference. i think i am one of the luckiest s.o.b.'s when it comes to beards. i can use the cheapest blades for 2-3 times longer than most guys do. i can straight shave without soap. it really isnt that big of a deal with me.
i read about the problems guys post on here and i feel grateful. leather skin + soft beard = great shaves no matter what.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I usually only use canvas/linen after honing. My combo is 60/60 linen/leather. If I'm just using leather I do 60.

After honing I generally do about 40 on leather

Before shaving 20-30 on leather, after shave 10 on linen, works good for me.

I tried doing more but didn't notice much difference, I use english bridle.

Top Bottom