What's new

Steampunk Joseph Rodgers & Sons "Master Razer #2"

I've been toying with different steampunk themed scales and thought I'd try my hand at using the scroll saw to cut away the middle section of wood and insetting some gears with a resin window.
I used some thin copper as a liner and then glued each gear in place before pouring the resin.

The spacer is a green smokey acrylic.

I love Joseph Rodgers & Sons blades and I've been hungry to get scales on their "Master Razor no2" Now I've only to get it on the stones and test it out!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is a awesome set of scales Tim!!!

You have some fantastic ideas and creations already, and they're getting better and more artistic every time!!!

- Morten

Thanks guys! I've got some work to do for a friend then I have a couple other ideas I want to run by all of you. I really have appreciated the support. I think I'd have given up a long time ago without the fantastic input I've had from the B&B.

Tim

Wow tumtatty, all of your stuff is really one of a kind and great craftsmanship. Keep doing what you do!

I have a question for you...do you think it would be possible to create scales similar to that but with a clear lining as opposed to the copper to make the gears themselves appear to be the "support" structure? Or, would it even be possible to have your wooden scales cut out, laid flat, and then the gears, etc placed carefully and the acrilyc poured in and set? Obviously, this would have to be done with the scales off the razor but it would essentially be as if the gears were floating?

Also, what are your thoughts on possibly trying to find gears that would work as pin washers?

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not knocking your design AT ALL! I was thinking more along the lines of another project...oh you know, like if a member were to send you something to be rescaled...Don't mean to hijack, but seeing stuff like this really gets the creative juices flowing.

Awesome work!

very neat and unique as your others :thumbup1:
I wonder though, how heavy is something like that compared to average scales?
They are indeed a little heavier, but not as much as you might think. Paduak is not a heavy wood. The resin and gears are basically weightless and the copper is less than 1/16 thick. I like the heft. This one is actually lighter than my other versions:
proxy.php

Wow tumtatty, all of your stuff is really one of a kind and great craftsmanship. Keep doing what you do!

I have a question for you...do you think it would be possible to create scales similar to that but with a clear lining as opposed to the copper to make the gears themselves appear to be the "support" structure? Or, would it even be possible to have your wooden scales cut out, laid flat, and then the gears, etc placed carefully and the acrilyc poured in and set? Obviously, this would have to be done with the scales off the razor but it would essentially be as if the gears were floating?

Also, what are your thoughts on possibly trying to find gears that would work as pin washers?

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not knocking your design AT ALL! I was thinking more along the lines of another project...oh you know, like if a member were to send you something to be rescaled...Don't mean to hijack, but seeing stuff like this really gets the creative juices flowing.

Awesome work!
Those are awesome ideas! I've done scales like that for members too. You could totally use clear acrylic. I might join you on that project. Very cool idea. I have had the idea of using gears as washers too. I haven't tried it yet but its definitely doable.

They are indeed a little heavier, but not as much as you might think. Paduak is not a heavy wood. The resin and gears are basically weightless and the copper is less than 1/16 thick. I like the heft. This one is actually lighter than my other versions:
proxy.php

Those are awesome ideas! I've done scales like that for members too. You could totally use clear acrylic. I might join you on that project. Very cool idea. I have had the idea of using gears as washers too. I haven't tried it yet but its definitely doable.

I merely have the vision, and not the means to pull it off as my media is Photoshop or colored pencil. I'd love to collaborate on something if you're interested...I've got two straights (my first) coming in. I know the scales are good on one, and the other, I'm not sure. Either way, your stuff is too cool and I'd love to get our heads together on a project if you're game!

Top Bottom