What's new

Muhle-Pinsel R89 similar to Gillette New?

I was looking at the razor review sec'toin and I saw the review for the Muhle-Pinsel R89. I noticed that it was a open comb razor and I have been thinking about trying a open comb. I have read some information about there being two types of open combs. One is like the older Gillette where the blade 'sits' on the comb...The Murker's open comb's are supposed to be like this. Then there is supposed to be the Gillette New's and New Improved that has a 'better' open comb design.

Anyone know if this Muhle-Pinsel R89 has the same design as the 'better' Gillette New's? It would be nice to be able to purchase a open comb like the Gillette new's with out having to go the sometimes tricky EBAY route.

I was looking at the razor review sec'toin and I saw the review for the Muhle-Pinsel R89. I noticed that it was a open comb razor and I have been thinking about trying a open comb. I have read some information about there being two types of open combs. One is like the older Gillette where the blade 'sits' on the comb...The Murker's open comb's are supposed to be like this. Then there is supposed to be the Gillette New's and New Improved that has a 'better' open comb design.

Anyone know if this Muhle-Pinsel R89 has the same design as the 'better' Gillette New's? It would be nice to be able to purchase a open comb like the Gillette new's with out having to go the sometimes tricky EBAY route.

I have one and it is a truly handsome razor. It looks better in person than it does in the pictures. It has heft as well, not as heavy as a slant, but it isn't a lightweight razor.

This is a beautiful razor that doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves.

It has a very curved set of teeth unlike the Gillettes. The blade does not rest directly on the comb. It sits just above it. I have a number of Gillette Bostonians which I understand are designed like the "new improved". The M+P shaves very similarly, perhaps a bit closer, to that model. The blade gap is not as large as the new improved, but the curved teeth make it a closer shaving razor than otherwise would be the case.

The curved teeth however make the razor into something quite different than my Gillettes. The teeth make the razor much more variable. It is rather difficult for me to explain, but as one changes the angle of attack, the razor shaves very differently. It shaves very gently close to perpendicular to the floor and as one decreases the angle to more parallel to the floor the razor shaves more and more aggressively.

Of course, while this is the same with any razor, I find that it is much much more pronounced with the M+P. When I use a similar angle with the M+P as I do with the slant for example, the M+P shaves closer.

You can get a very close and very comfortable shave with the M+P, but I recommend (1) do not start out with it using a very sharp blade like the Feather and I wouldn't even use it with a Derby, use instead something like an Israeli and (2) be very careful about blade angle.

I have little doubt that if you do those two things you'll find the M+P a razor that you'll reach for again and again.

Top Bottom