What's new

Shaving a little higher up

Does anyone here have any experience shaving their head with a straight razor? I had an old Gunny that used to do it, but he moved on before I had the opportunity to ask him for technique advice. The top and sides are easy enough, but last time I tried it (and the only time), the back was tricky. And by tricky, I mean the razor could have earned an honoriffic from the amount of blood drawn that night.

I either use a Schick Quattro, or my Braun electric. I actually like the Braun better because it gets me BBS with no irritation.

Clayton

I've done a bit of reduction with a shavette, but I wouldn't try for BBS. Takes far too long (I only used the shavette for reduction as my 3 blade cart was getting clogged) as I shave my head every 2/3 days

Yeah, I'm currently using a multi-blade fusion, but want to swap over. I know it's possible, but probably rare. I'm not looking for bbs; i usually go wtg anyway on my head to avoid the shine.

Basically, I know that it's possible. Now I want to be able to do it.

There are people out there who do use straights and I think there are a couple of videos on YouTube, I usually scrub my head pretty well with a cart to get it totally smooth so I don't think I'd be willing to put in the time. For my face I use straights daily though :smile:

Same here.
Making the transition from Fusion to DE, but currently no plans to switch for the melon shave.

Melon is 4 passes... all ATG:
Neck to front
Front to neck
Left to right
Right to left
Then detail scrubbing in the spots that don't seem to follow any grain logic.

I can't see duplicating that even with a DE, much less a straight.

I often shave the back of my neck with a straight using a hand held mirror. Same concept maybe. It was difficult at first. Just take your time but with a little practice it becomes easy.

I shave my head, at first I did it with a straight but found they lost there sharpness rather quickly so I switched to a Feather non sharpen, I use mostly the SS model for that but have done it with a RG model also. I start with a ATG and follow that up with a quick WTG. Front and sides are done using the normal mirror, I can get about to one third of the back of my head that way, can't see really what I'm doing but going by feel. Then I shave the back with use of a second handheld mirror so I can see in the other mirror what I'm doing. Takes a little getting used to as all movements are mirrored but works fine. Takes about 15 minutes for me. It's a closer shave then when I used a DE for that. I use short small strokes with a angle of about 30 degrees just like when using a straight. Not much difference between the blades I use, so far I used Kai Mild, Feather professional and Feather super professional. Every third day I shave my head. Not that difficult at all because you don't have to stretch like when shaving your face. I do have a few places where there are small scars and have to be a little more careful.

I shave my head, at first I did it with a straight but found they lost there sharpness rather quickly so I switched to a Feather non sharpen, I use mostly the SS model for that but have done it with a RG model also. I start with a ATG and follow that up with a quick WTG. Front and sides are done using the normal mirror, I can get about to one third of the back of my head that way, can't see really what I'm doing but going by feel. Then I shave the back with use of a second handheld mirror so I can see in the other mirror what I'm doing. Takes a little getting used to as all movements are mirrored but works fine. Takes about 15 minutes for me. It's a closer shave then when I used a DE for that. I use short small strokes with a angle of about 30 degrees just like when using a straight. Not much difference between the blades I use, so far I used Kai Mild, Feather professional and Feather super professional. Every third day I shave my head. Not that difficult at all because you don't have to stretch like when shaving your face. I do have a few places where there are small scars and have to be a little more careful.

Guess I'll have to start looking for a feather then and try it out. Thanks.

EDIT: Did a google search then went back and reread your post. Realized that the Feather is a DE, not a straight.

Is the only reason you went with the DE the sharpening issue, or did it turn out to be significantly easier than the straight?

Last edited:
OK, did some more google searches. Found out that feather makes DE and Straights, both folding and non-folding. Which have you used and which would you suggest I start with?

I read that it is a lot easier to cut ones' self with a feather. Is that much of an issue here?

IMO, I would say you are either out of your mind :out: or highly skilled :ouch1: to try and shave your head with a Feather No-sharpen razor, have you ever used one? In any case good luck to you and keep us posted on the results.

I will loose what hair I have left soon enough so high and tight is ok for me Sounds like you should go slow adapt,change,overcome!!!SEMPER FI !!!!
Enjoy Your Shave!

@Jackaharris: The RG and SS model that I use are no DE razors but the folding Feather straights with replaceable blades. I use normal straights for shaving but love to use a Feather now and then also. It was actually one of the video's from Thomas that made me try out shaving my head with a Feather. I really liked it and have kept doing it since.

I'm no expert shaver (started about 9 months ago with straights, used DE for 35 years) but although there are some people who warn about the Feather razors I don't have any problems with them. They say that the new SS model is far more forgiving then the older models so it might be a better choice to start with? I have seen a lot of these razors bought and sold after a short while so if you got the chance to try one out from someone who lives near you it might save you some money.

Try a normal shave with a Feather before you try shaving your head, if you can do that without cutting yourself you can try the head shave. I use about the same angle as a normal straight (flat against the skin does not work for me but seems to work for many others) and short strokes (about 1 cm at a time), I go ATG first (from front to back of head) and finish with a WTG if I want it really BBS.

What I would do is buy yourself a cheap shavette (Parker for instance) and a pack of feather blades - if you like that THEN start looking at the Feather razors. There are many here who will attest to you being able to get a comparible shave from a Parker loaded with feather, the difference is primarily build quality

@Jackaharris: The RG and SS model that I use are no DE razors but the folding Feather straights with replaceable blades. I use normal straights for shaving but love to use a Feather now and then also. It was actually one of the video's from Thomas that made me try out shaving my head with a Feather. I really liked it and have kept doing it since.

I'm no expert shaver (started about 9 months ago with straights, used DE for 35 years) but although there are some people who warn about the Feather razors I don't have any problems with them. They say that the new SS model is far more forgiving then the older models so it might be a better choice to start with? I have seen a lot of these razors bought and sold after a short while so if you got the chance to try one out from someone who lives near you it might save you some money.

Try a normal shave with a Feather before you try shaving your head, if you can do that without cutting yourself you can try the head shave. I use about the same angle as a normal straight (flat against the skin does not work for me but seems to work for many others) and short strokes (about 1 cm at a time), I go ATG first (from front to back of head) and finish with a WTG if I want it really BBS.

I'll try that. I wonder how often feathers show up on the BST? BTW, is there a reason you do ATG before WTG? I've always heard it the other way around.

Which blade would you recommend, the Light, Professional, or Super-Professional?

I will loose what hair I have left soon enough so high and tight is ok for me Sounds like you should go slow adapt,change,overcome!!!SEMPER FI !!!!
Enjoy Your Shave!

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
Top Bottom