Thread: Only 2 Passes

Default Only 2 Passes

Overslept and I only did two passes: wtg, xtg, instead of my regular 3: wtg, xtg, atg.

I feel scruffy. I wish I could get the 3 pass smoothness in only two passes.

Sorry. Just wanted to vent.
    If you take God out of government, the government becomes your god.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gabadab View Post
    Overslept and I only did two passes: wtg, xtg, instead of my regular 3: wtg, xtg, atg.

I feel scruffy. I wish I could get the 3 pass smoothness in only two passes.

Sorry. Just wanted to vent.
    I know how you feel. I always do 3 passes like you for BBS, but with a stomach upset, I had to settle for a one pass WTG this morning. Have you tried a 2 pass shave XTG and ATG? I seem to be able to cope with it but enjoyment always goes for three!!

I feel you. no matter what razor, blade, or technique I use- i always need at least three passes to get a nice shave (I usually do four, WTG, XTG, XTG opposite, ATG)

I also do the two pass when in a rush... and spend the rest of the day wishing I had spent another 3-4 minutes doing a third pass.

Images

I guess I'm the odd duck. I do two, XTG and ATG, and get a DFS/BBS (almost) every time. Everyone's skin & beard is different.
    Robert

Images

I go with the grain, and then against the grain. If I do anymore I suffer irritation. I usually end up with a DFS.

Clayton

Images

I get great shaves in two passes with my TracII or Atra. I need at least three with a DE and it's never as close for me.

I know where you're coming from. It's a real drag to know that if you'd just done what you know works you'd have a great feeling shave all day but instead you decided to try something different. Today was one of those days for me. I had a lousy shave and my face feels roughed up all because I decided to experiment with something different than what has been proven to provide me with a great shave.
    Old Fogie. It's not fer eatin', it's fer lookin' through.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravedigger View Post
    I guess I'm the odd duck. I do two, XTG and ATG, and get a DFS/BBS (almost) every time. Everyone's skin & beard is different.
    Nah, not the only one. I do two passes also. 1-WTG 1-XTG. Not completely BBS but DFS. I can get a BBS with 3 passes but run the risk of irritation. 2 passes makes me happy!
    Dan Parker

I switch off between one and two passes(WTG/XTG). More than not, one pass gets me through the day and gives me the opportunity to shave again the next.

One pass will usually get me an OK shave -- not great but OK. SAS, perhaps -- although in my line of work that stands for something else.
    Uncertainty. Something you can count on.

Have you tried the new muhle r41, gets me very close and only need 2 passes but it is an aggressive razor.
    Knowledge is only power when used with experience

Images

I can get a CCS and even a DFS with a two pass shave if I shave in a slanted angle like a "V" from North to South on the first pass and South to North (also in a "V") on the second pass.
    ShaveReady.Net Find my GOODS at the Hobbyist section in the Marketplace
    Shave Ready Straight Razors
    Shaving Oil, honing & more!

I'm finding my Merkur slant shaves remarkably close in 1 or 2 passes if I use a medium blade angle. (Compared to my preferred low angle with all razors.)
    I think this is an unrefined method, but it undeniably works.
    (Still working out if I can do a 3rd, ATG pass this way without weepers on my neck.)
    Ray.