What's new

Rusty Nail help?

It's cold wet and raining here on Puget Sound.

I'm about to put a pot roast in.

I was chatting with a friend and we realized I've never had a Rusty Nail.

Scotch is mother's milk to me.

Soooo.....

Half and half?

I've got JWB and the Grouse.

Suggestions?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I don't get your question. JWB and the Grouse are both scotch. A Rusty Nail involves Drambuie.

BTW great drink, but tell the bartender to skew away from the Drambuie and toward the scotch and DO NOT stir it once you get it in your hands. It gets sweeter as you progress. The Drambuie sinks.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh, sorry, did not know you had the drambuie. I would use the Grouse. Put ice in the glass, pour in 2-3 parts scotch then one part drambuie (I prefer a less sweet rusty nail). The let it sit, don't stir it, because the drambuie will sink through the scotch. You'll have a sweet scotch that gets sweeter as you go down.

Tell me what you think. One of my faves. Two scotch drinks I inhereited from my Grandpa (RIP). This and the classic Rob Roy.

Hold on, I have a laminated recipe card around here somewhere...

:lol:

Hmm, I still need to get some scotch. I like JW Black. Only one I've tried.

What else is Drambuie good for other than Rusty Nails?

I don't mean to threadjack, but we're on the subject. It costs just as much as the JW Black, so I would prefer it be more versatile than just one drink.

Hold on, I have a laminated recipe card around here somewhere...
Lamination isn't required :001_rolle Plain cardstock works just as well.

At any rate, it doesn't appear to be needed. I received a perfectly decent rusty nail from my one of my local pubs today (same one that insists on putting seltzer in their whisky sours).

Last edited:
I do three parts scotch and one part drambuie. Not too sweet, just right.

Does anyone put in a lemon twist? I don't, personally, but a traditional recipe calls for it. I just go with the scotch and drambuie over ice.

Unfortunately, I have only single-malt scotches on hand and I refuse to adulterate my laphroaig with drumbuie, but I don't mind adding it to my dalwhinnie. Does anyone make rusty nails with single malts? or just blends?

2 of those Kicked my A** and I am no lightweight.

Twist? hmm.

I considered buying a less expensive Islay to make them with and thought better of it.
I would imagine it would take some extensive research to find the ideal pairing.

READY.....GO!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
2 of those Kicked my A** and I am no lightweight.

Twist? hmm.

I considered buying a less expensive Islay to make them with and thought better of it.
I would imagine it would take some extensive research to find the ideal pairing.

READY.....GO!

Keep the single malts for sipping on their own ... that's why they call them single malts, after all ... *

1:1 Drambuie and whatever 'blending' scotch you have on hand. If Johhnie's walkin' on the bottle, so much the better. Red is fine, but black if you can afford it. (If not, no sweat.) I'd go so far as Glenlivet ... if I were celebrating my lotto win, but otherwise, JWB is as good as anyone ought to go.

* Yes, I know, I know ...

Last edited:
So what do you call a rusty nail with lemon juice instead of lemon peel?

BTW this variation is really excellent since it allows you yo boost the Drambuie for extra spiciness without becoming too cloyingly sweet.

Top Bottom