What's new

Weishi or a Feather Popular razor ?

I only really have a personal preference for butterfly twist to open razors, and light razors.

What are my best options ??

Are those 2 both good ?

I can vouch for the Feather Popular. It was my starter razor, as I didn't want to make too much of an investment in case the DE experiment didn't work out.

The TTO functioned smoothly, the head centered the blade and held it tight, and the long textured handle made it easy to hold and maneuver. The razor is nicely weighted toward the head, so it was easy to just let the weight of the razor do the work (unlearning the add more pressure ways of the Fusion).

Light, inexpensive and new - it met my needs until the RAD started. I have since PIF'd it to my neighbor, who has been using it for about a month and is looking for his first upgrade.

I've only tried a Weishi. Unfortunately, I could only get a good shave out of it with a Feather blade. On the other hand, my Merkur, Parker, and Wilkinson Sword can all use any time of blade--except Dorko.

Gillette Slim Twist is in the same category as the two you mentioned. If you want a new one, you can find a new unopened Gillette G1000 for good price. I used to use Weishi before I got a Tech for the last pass. I don't think it could be used as only razor. It works only as a polisher.

I really don't have any idea how the feather poular or weishi fair in terms of weight but if you after something thats nice and light and a decent shave to boot you could try searching the bay or post in the WTB for a blue tip super speed which is really light or a black tip SS which is just a bit heavier.
I have both the knack and slim twist and would say if you could find either of those they would be great as they aren't to heavy cosidering they are quite large in terms of a TTO...

The popular shaves very well, I don't own any of the others but the popular makes me want a metal feather that's not so pricey as the AS

My first DE was a Comoy from ebay and was very cheap. I must say that so far it has served really well and I can get a good shave from it. I am only changing as I want to try a more aggressive razor. It seems to be a reasonable build to the uneducated and certainly sits the blade evenly etc.

I am certainly no expert however I have been happy with it and that is all I can ask.

Attachments

• $comoy 2.jpg
    $comoy 2.jpg
    691 bytes · Views: 378
  • $Comoy.jpg
    $Comoy.jpg
    643 bytes · Views: 375
My first DE was a Comoy from ebay and was very cheap. I must say that so far it has served really well and I can get a good shave from it. I am only changing as I want to try a more aggressive razor. It seems to be a reasonable build to the uneducated and certainly sits the blade evenly etc.

I am certainly no expert however I have been happy with it and that is all I can ask.

$comoy 3.jpg

Wow, looks just like the gunmetal Weishi.

Derby makes a TTO that is a decent knock off of an old Gillette Super Speed. It runs less than $15, and comes in a nice plastic box with one Derby blade. It is made by Ming Shi, and is superior to a Weishi, as it is more aggressive, IMHO.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Derby-Butterfly-Safety-Razor_p_624.html

I've heard about Mingshi. Now I've seen it. I'm glad to see it's more aggressive than Weishi.

Some say Weishi's are ok. I've tried the feather popular, it shaves OK. But I'm not sure it would be durable as it seems to be mostly plastic. Have you considered a Gillette Knack or a Classic super speed ?

Top Bottom