What's new

Time to upgrade

After using the same non descript Boar brush for 26 years ( gifted with my 1st razor when i was a lad ) It's time to upgrade to something a little better . I really like the boar brush I have been using ,it has served me well :closedeye .
Reading through B&B i have taken a fancy for an Omega 20107 /50107 boar brush :drool: , it looks similar to the trusty old brush i have been using in the past .
I am a novice when it comes to brushes ,so I am wondering if this would be a good choice of upgrade :confused1
Thanks in advance .

It wouldn't be bad...

If you like boar, my favorite, and the only boar that I've kept around, is the Semouge Owner's Club boar brush, that's what I would get.

Or, there is a whole world of brushes out there for you to explore (badger, boar, mixed, horse, synthetic) in all sorts of sizes.

If your after a quality boar then look no futher than the semogue 620, scritchy, great lather maker or the Semogue 610 a little more forgiving but still agreat brush. If you want Badger, well IMHO you cant go wrong with the Simpsons Duke 2 in best.

Hi Dawsub,

Welcome to B&B.

You'll see that there's quite a bit of opinions as to what the best Boar brush is.

In my opinion, you'll do fine with the brush that you selected, but be aware that it is on the larger side for boar brushes. Barber brushes tend to be just that, designed for the Barber to paint on lather. Having said that I have a wonderfully broken in Omega pro 49, a very similar brush, that is regularly used. It does a great job and feels great against my face.

You'll see that there's much appreciation of both Omega and Semogue boars here on B&B. I understand that Vulflix offers boar brushes, but here in the US, there seems to be much less awareness of Vulflixs.

You'll also see that Semogue brushes have a significantlu greater range of price. This has largely to do with the quality of the hair with the more expensive brushes having softer, more densely packed boar knots that feel more like silvertip badger. I have a Semogue 1305 which is one of the softer, plush brushes and a Semogue 1460 which uses a coarser hair that would ore mimick the Omega hair quality. I love all of my boars and swap them out occasionally, favoring the 1460 for travel because of it's smaller size.

B&B has a pretty good review section where you can read more in depth reviews or use the search tool in the shave brush forum.

P.S. I noticed that you are in Scotland. Are you familiar with Glasgow, Whiteinch in particular. My maternal Grandfather's family was born there.

I have that brush. Its a excellent brush and if its similiar to what you have been using I am sure you will be pleased with it. I find it a little big and the bristles longer than I prefer but maybe it is just what you want. It is well built and shouldnt be that expensive.

Splurge on a Silvertip badger - you won't regret lathering your face with a soft, warm, marshmellow :)

You can hardly go wrong with Semogue, Omega and Vulfix boars. Since you are from Scotland check out Vulfix before you decide; especially the shorter lofted ones with lathe turned handles are not the cheapest but a steal for what they are.

As some of the posters mentioned, Semogue makes a great brush, IMHO what I like better about the Semogues vs. the Omegas is that when a Semogue breaks in it both looks cooler and the split ends of the hairs just seem softer and more dense. Don't get me wrong, I have four or five Omega's sitting in my cabinet that I use as well heh. So the brushes aren't bad, just after using both I would choose Semogue over Omega :) .

Quick little edit as well. I do have a PIF going in this forum (one post under yours right now, called Look what the stork brought me) for a boar brush that you are more than welcome to enter :) . Just if you wanted another boar for your collection.

Last edited:
Hi Dawsub,

Welcome to B&B.

You'll see that there's quite a bit of opinions as to what the best Boar brush is.

In my opinion, you'll do fine with the brush that you selected, but be aware that it is on the larger side for boar brushes. Barber brushes tend to be just that, designed for the Barber to paint on lather. Having said that I have a wonderfully broken in Omega pro 49, a very similar brush, that is regularly used. It does a great job and feels great against my face.

You'll see that there's much appreciation of both Omega and Semogue boars here on B&B. I understand that Vulflix offers boar brushes, but here in the US, there seems to be much less awareness of Vulflixs.

You'll also see that Semogue brushes have a significantlu greater range of price. This has largely to do with the quality of the hair with the more expensive brushes having softer, more densely packed boar knots that feel more like silvertip badger. I have a Semogue 1305 which is one of the softer, plush brushes and a Semogue 1460 which uses a coarser hair that would ore mimick the Omega hair quality. I love all of my boars and swap them out occasionally, favoring the 1460 for travel because of it's smaller size.

B&B has a pretty good review section where you can read more in depth reviews or use the search tool in the shave brush forum.

P.S. I noticed that you are in Scotland. Are you familiar with Glasgow, Whiteinch in particular. My maternal Grandfather's family was born there.

Hi Redrako , I live 20 miles from Glasgow and know it pretty well ,WHiteinch is just off the clyde tunnel ;)

I am now torn between the Omega 20107 , Semogue 1460 . I like the Boar feel on my face ,as Badger feels too soft ( just a preference ).
Both suggested seem to be favoured by everyone who has helped enlightened me on my search for a new brush .
Hell i might just get them both :D

I am now torn between the Omega 20107 , Semogue 1460 . I like the Boar feel on my face ,as Badger feels too soft ( just a preference ).
Both suggested seem to be favoured by everyone who has helped enlightened me on my search for a new brush .

Two excellent choices. IMO, it's always good to let a brush completely dry out.

Remember when your new brushes arrive, that they will not be as broken in as your present brush. Although they'll be good right out of the box, they will get better with a few weeks use.

On a personal note, I'm glad that your familiar with Whiteinch. Glasgow is on my must visit some day.

Yep. You'll fit right in here.:wink2:

Two excellent choices. IMO, it's always good to let a brush completely dry out.

Remember when your new brushes arrive, that they will not be as broken in as your present brush. Although they'll be good right out of the box, they will get better with a few weeks use.

On a personal note, I'm glad that your familiar with Whiteinch. Glasgow is on my must visit some day.

Thanks for the advice Redrako on the new brushes . Omega 10049 in the bag already , I will make sure it is well looked after .My old Boar brush has been given a spruce up after reading a few threads on B&B ,it has sprung a new lease of life and is whipping up a nice thick lather once again.
Scotland should be on everyones MUST visit , if you ever make it here you wont be disappointed .

Last edited:
Top Bottom