What's new

anti-perspirant/deoderant ingredient that makes me break out in rash...

Well I used to use old spice deoderant religiously, but then I began to get itchy under my arms. I switched to another, and had the same problem. I looked for a common ingredient (I think it was polythylene), and found one (degree) that didn't have it. It was fine, but they didn't have an unscented one when I looked. Has anyone else had this problem? What do you use? I've heard some people use an alum block, would this work?

One thing to keep in mind..deodorant makes sweat smell less of a "offending odor"...anti persperent clogs your sweat glands so you almost dont sweat at all..went to my local Walgreens...had a b1/g1 sale..the packs both said anti persperent and deodorant..how can this be?

i had that problem with the mitchum roll-on. alum blocks work just fine. if you are a heavy heavy sweater...i used to use dry idea unscented without any problem.

One thing to keep in mind..deodorant makes sweat smell less of a "offending odor"...anti persperent clogs your sweat glands so you almost dont sweat at all..went to my local Walgreens...had a b1/g1 sale..the packs both said anti persperent and deodorant..how can this be?

The deodorant comes into play as the anti-perspirant loses its effectiveness.

Found an alum block at a local nutrition store. It was advertised as a deodorant crystal, but it's alum alright. They also had Thayer's and other nice soaps. Never really thought of going in there for shaving stuff.

The old spice deoderant causes my underarms to BURN!!! It is awful. I don't know what causes it. I have avoided all deodorants with Propylene Glycol listed first under ingredients. I don't think that is what causes it for me... but no more burning rashes.

I find the old spice del block the same, it seems to stick under my arms and I get a slight burning feeling!

Im interested to see how you like the Alum...I can tell you, that the aluminum in deodorant is what makes me itch and break out. Ive started using non-aluminums such as Toms of Maine and what a difference! With that said...Isnt Alum bloc ALUMINUM?

Well I used to use old spice deoderant religiously, but then I began to get itchy under my arms. I switched to another, and had the same problem. I looked for a common ingredient (I think it was polythylene), and found one (degree) that didn't have it. It was fine, but they didn't have an unscented one when I looked. Has anyone else had this problem? What do you use? I've heard some people use an alum block, would this work?

It's the scent. Some brands do it to me and others don't. Aldi is particularly bad. It can happen with roll-on or spray. I use hypoallergenic no-scent or low-scent deodorants: problem solved.

Im glad I just saw this thread. I used the spray on Arid for years, maybe since 1994 or so. This last year I just started getting a rash from it. I tried other deoderants, roll ons, sprays and the same. I started using aluminum free ones like Toms of Maine and no problem. The others changed their ingredients.

I've been using it for a couple of days, and no problems so far. There is aluminum in it, true. But I seem fine. I'm surprised at how well it works actually. Even after working out for an hour, no stink. It's amazing the things I've learned on this forum.

I had the same problem with old spice and right guard. I used degree for years, but have been using a Crystal stick for the past 6 months and I don't see any reason to use anything else.

I use Certain Dri for anti-perspirant. Yea, it contains aluminum but doesnt bother me any. One $4 bottle will last me 3-4 months, and I still use a light application of deodorant over that.

For smell, I highly suggest shaving your pits. A lot of the odor actually comes from bacteria breeding in your armpit hair...

The aluminium-free stuff from Tom's or A&H Essentials works well. Recently, I've been using the Nature's Fresh liquid alum deodorant, and have been happy with it.

It might sound weird but I use rubbing alcohol soaked cotton pads instead of deodorant. It prevents any smell, but it doesn't stop the production of sweat.

Top Bottom