What's new

Metro or Old Fashioned?

Do you consider yourself Metro or Old Fashioned when it comes to your products? I was just chatting with the Director of Marketing at AOS as well as one from T&H US. Clearly different marketing patterns, and I just wanted to know which category most feel that they fall into?

'Only the modern can ever become old-fashioned.' (Oscar Wilde)

IMO, 'Traditional' means respecting beautiful traditions. It doesn't have to mean 'conservative' in any negative way.

'Only the modern can ever become old-fashioned.' (Oscar Wilde)

IMO, 'Traditional' means respecting beautiful traditions. It doesn't have to mean 'conservative' in any negative way.

proxy.php
Floris Malmaison, from Floris' website: "The Malmaison was Oscar Wildes’ choice of buttonhole flower, which he would dye green daily. Rich, theatrical and noisy, top notes of the warm, spicy clove fragrance of the Malmaison carnation, dry woody middle notes and a long-lasting powcery musk base. "

Place a Merkur HD or 38 next to anything Gillette has made in the past 25 years. Smell any SC, ASB, or splash that usually is discussed here, then take a whiff of canned goo. Think about how your face feels when you are lathering with a brush, then try to recall spreading goo with your fingers. Is it metro to appreciate "our thing" and the sensory delights that go with it? Is it old fashioned because there is nothing new about it? For me, it's old fashioned in a good way, but at my age there's nothing new about me, either.

Do you consider yourself Metro or Old Fashioned when it comes to your products? I was just chatting with the Director of Marketing at AOS as well as one from T&H US. Clearly different marketing patterns, and I just wanted to know which category most feel that they fall into?

Both - seriously.

The two aren't mutually exlusive.

I was not saying anything about Old Fashioned being negative. I think the term that I was thinking of meant nostalgic and traditional.

How about well groomed? Covers all bases without being demeaning.

How is Old Fashioned demeaning? Well Groomed does not cover all the bases. Most Metro men will do tons of things outside of facial products such as clothes, dayspas, salons, etc..

I would have thought of myself as old fashioned, but most of my female friends consider me 'metro'.

It must be the pink shirts and polished shoes:blush:

Isn't pink the new black?

Funny how perceptions change with the times.

Historically gentlemen took the time to take care of themselves, maintain a certain level of appearance in dress and, equally important, demeanor. They also cultivated a broad range of interests - both physical and intelectual.

It may be that the term gentlemanly is simply out of fashion and has been replaced by the term metrosexual.

My wife considers me to be a metrosexual for a variety of reasons - in part BECAUSE I use old fashioned shaving products.

However, whenever she kids me about this, I ask her how she likes the gourmet dinner she's eating (which I've made - she can't cook worth a damn, and knows it) and whether she rather be maried to a football-watching, beer-drinking, undershirt-wearing lout. At which point she looks me in the eyes and tells me how much she loves me:001_wub: .

How is Old Fashioned demeaning? Well Groomed does not cover all the bases. Most Metro men will do tons of things outside of facial products such as clothes, dayspas, salons, etc..

Old fashioned or traditional is not demeaning at all. I consider myself old fashioned. I had a lady tell me that I am old fashioned because I carry monogrammed handkerchiefs. She said no one carries handkerchiefs anymore.

Metrosexual can be demeaning to some gents. It can denote less than masculine. I have no problem with either but some gent may have a problem with it.

Hmmmmmm Me, I would say Old Fashioned, My wife would say Metro because she thinks the well groomed men are "Metro" we have been away from the city life for 5 1/2 years now.. living in the boonies has made her appreciate grooming on men much more now.. The point being that walking into a room looking clean, smelling clean and being happy with your appearance, is the point...does it really matter what we call it????? :smile:

Loving my extra 40 minutes every morning shaving
Glen

Old fashioned or traditional is not demeaning at all. I consider myself old fashioned. I had a lady tell me that I am old fashioned because I carry monogrammed handkerchiefs. She said no one carries handkerchiefs anymore.

Metrosexual can be demeaning to some gents. It can denote less than masculine. I have no problem with either but some gent may have a problem with it.

+1

I too carry the ol hankie, on weekends.

Metrosexual,,,, very demeaning to this "Hombre". :cursing:

Traditional,,,,,,:smile:

Top Bottom