What's new

Why did this single ring go for so much on the bay?

this is dirtiest one i seen..

Attachments

• $1317086821_4.jpg
    $1317086821_4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 196
  • $1317086821_3.jpg
    $1317086821_3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 194
  • $1317086820_2.jpg
    $1317086820_2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 197
Yeah I thought about it but it would have taken at least $20.00 in cleaning products a whole box of baking soda and whole roll of alum foil to get this shining again. Then the ebay price went over $20.00

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
$40 seems to be a normal price for a single ring. Shiny examples would likely go for far more. This specimen doesn't appear to have any bent teeth, so it very well might polish up well.

Yes, it probably will. It has been my experience that when a razor is that tarnished, the silver plating is usually in pretty good shape, as it has probably never or at least seldom been polished before.

you'd be amazed what some baking soda and water...nevr dull...maas...whathaveyou can do with something like that.

:yesnod:

Yeah I thought about it but it would have taken at least $20.00 in cleaning products a whole box of baking soda and whole roll of alum foil to get this shining again. Then the ebay price went over $20.00

Actually it wouldn't take all that much. The ABC cases or ABC razors are harder to clean if you trying to save some of the patina to make the details of the designs stand out. On a razor like that Single Ring that is not a concern.

That Single Ring might well clean up like this one.

$Floral Case & Razor Silver (before) 2.jpg

$Floral Silver (restored) 4.jpg $Floral Silver (restored) 2.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Very nice cleaning job. What did you use and how did you use it?

I soaked it in some penetrating oil to remove the rust, then washed it with dish soap and water. Next I gave it some foil and baking soda baths, follow with some polishing with Maas, washed it in soap and water again, and finished it up with with a coat of Renaissance Wax Polish.

As others have already said and shown, the more the razor is tarnished, the better condition the plating is underneath. I think the price paid was very good for what appears to be an excellent condition early non diamond logo Single Ring.

Some of my blackest acquisitions are my best looking examples.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for the education. I knew there was more to it. Looks like the tarnished ones clean up really well!!
Aaron

That's not dirt, that's Patina.
I know, I was being harsh......
What are you talking about?
The black isn't dirt. It's silver.
black money:wink2:
As others have already said and shown, the more the razor is tarnished, the better condition the plating is underneath. I think the price paid was very good for what appears to be an excellent condition early non diamond logo Single Ring.

Some of my blackest acquisitions are my best looking examples.
I agree, no argument here.

Top Bottom