What's new

Any WHEEL GUN lovers out there...?

OOOooo...those are both really nice! Really appealing in their own ways, the long barrel on the .357 Magnum and the caliber itself on the .41 Magnum.

Those are of the era I wasn't through playing with when wretched aluminum alloy and plastic became the cheap material of choice for fabricating handguns.

No pictures, but I have a S&W Model 10 w/ 4" bull barrel and an old Model 60, both of which I carried until my department switched to semis. Bought the Model 10. The Model 60 was always mine. Both in .38 and I use them regularly.

Two that are in my stable.

$PB250001.jpg

Good looking with the matching custom stocks.

Is that a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum or the Model 57 .41 Magnum?

tda003;

A Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel was my first handgun back in the mid 1970s and the same ol' revolver is still my favorite and most used handgun.

Good looking with the matching custom stocks.

Is that a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum or the Model 57 .41 Magnum?[/QUO

A model 29 with the 6 1/2 inch barrel and a python from 1963. The python is just a dreamy smooth shooter. The stocks are both from Hogue. I tried a set of their single finger groove stocks many years ago and so love them that they are on all my wheel guns now.

I still prefer a double action revolver over a semi-auto, except for the recoil, which my beat up old hands can no longer take. In the hands of an expert, the double action revolver is more accurate and faster on subsequent shots than the auto, usually more powerful, and will digest a wider variety of bullet shapes and composition without complaint. However, it does take more work (and possibly talent:biggrin1:) to master. To paraphrase the late Jeff Cooper, "My conclusion is that the semi- auto pistol is a very good choice for hired hands."

I just picked up my first revolver on Wednesday! Shot it for the first time yesterday. It is definitely a keeper!
It is a 686-4, I believe from the mid 90's. Six shot cylinder. Six inch barrel.
I bought it from a guy who said it has only had about 500 shots through it. It was well cared for and is in great shape! I am pretty excited. :)
The only thing I'm not crazy about are the grips. Any recommendations for nice looking, and comfortable 686 grips? I'm thinking Hogue...

$686.jpg

My personal favorite are Badger grips, one thing I hate about the later 686's like my -6 is that it's a round butt. Seems silly on a gun so big. Anyways I have two sets of badgers and they are real similar to the Smith factory combats.

Full size:

proxy.php

Boot grip:

proxy.php

Here is what is in my nightstand

S&W 642
Surefire Z2X
2 speed strips of a 135gr Gold Dots
1 box of Hornady Critical Defense +Ps
proxy.php

i am a huge fan of wheel guns.

I only own a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 .357 with 8 3/8" barrel....blued...i'll post a pic when i find one :)

edit:

not the best pic, but that's the whole collection.

Attachments

• $guns.jpg
    $guns.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Interesting collections. When I first read the title I thought you meant Wheellock pistols and seeing eleven pages I though hot damn these guys love their ancient clockwork/weaponry. Revolvers on the other hand are also interesting, my Grandfather had a S&W .44 Mag for dealing with bear when he was a Trapper/Logger/Hunting Guide. I hope to see a lot more!

I'll always have a soft spot for revolvers. I carried a .38 Special in the Air Force Security Police from 1974-1978 and here are pictures of my first duty weapon, issued to me in 1979. It's an S&W model 66 .357 Magnum that I carried until they were replaced in 1990 with Beretta 9 mm. I had the grips custom made with a replica of my badge inserted, the varnish has yellowed over the years.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom