What's new

Needing help

Been wet shaving for about 9 months now. My current set up is EJ best bb, MWF soap, QCS shaving cream. Blades are Gillette yellow box & green box, Gillette super thin ( made in Thailand), used have tried Astra SP in my Bull Mastiff a shave that i would like to forget ( the Astra sp PULL & left my face in very bad way). Uses Thayers lavender WH, Nivea cooling ASB, Nivea moisturizer.
  1. PRE:
  2. hot show
    1. PRE:
    2. HOT SHOWER
    3. FACE LARTHER
    4. MASSAGE CREAM INTO FACE
    5. HOT TOWEL TO FACE
    6. WET FACE & RELARTHER
    7. 3 PASS SHAVE
    8. 1 WTG
    9. 1 XTG
    10. 1 ATG
    11. RELARTHER BETWEEN PASSES
    12. WARM WATER RINSE
    13. COLD WATER RINSE
    14. APPLY THAYERS WITCH HAZEL LAVENDER
    15. NIVEA COOLING ASB
    16. NIVEA MOISTURIZER
      My face is left sore to the touch until the next shave. I shaves on Wednesdays & Sundays. And some times my face feels hot to the touch. Hads a few nicks and razor burn & irritation. have used castle fords, taylors avacado, j.m fraser, cyril r. salter wild rose an proraso aloe & green - tree shaving soap (ALL OF THESE BURNED MY FACE WHEN APPLY). ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE. THANKS

Howdy and welcome to B&B!

Looking at your current routine, here are a few suggestions:

- Skip XTG and ATG for now. Poor technique with these passes can cause some razor burn. Just do 1 WTG pass and see how you feel the next day. If it doesn't burn but the shave isn't as close as you'd like, try 2 WTG passes the next time you shave.
- Try not to apply too much pressure! Think light! :001_smile
- I used to think lots of hot water was good, but it can irritate my skin. Perhaps you're using really hot water? You might consider skipping the hot towel (especially if you just stepped out of the shower) and try using slightly warm water instead of hot water.
- Make sure you have super slick lather. Check out the helpful tutorials if you're not sure about the quality of your lather.

Hang in there!! You'll be having great shaves in no time!

Thanks for the advice, forgot to let you know that my current DE razors are a Muhle R89 & a Bull Mastiff with a short tooth Gillette new head. Bob does great work and is great to work with if you have any problems with you order. I have AVERY TOUGH BEARD, I have map out my face in the way my beard grows.THANKS, GOD BLESS.

Howdy and welcome to B&B!

Looking at your current routine, here are a few suggestions:

- Skip XTG and ATG for now. Poor technique with these passes can cause some razor burn. Just do 1 WTG pass and see how you feel the next day. If it doesn't burn but the shave isn't as close as you'd like, try 2 WTG passes the next time you shave.
- Try not to apply too much pressure! Think light! :001_smile
- I used to think lots of hot water was good, but it can irritate my skin. Perhaps you're using really hot water? You might consider skipping the hot towel (especially if you just stepped out of the shower) and try using slightly warm water instead of hot water.
- Make sure you have super slick lather. Check out the helpful tutorials if you're not sure about the quality of your lather.

Hang in there!! You'll be having great shaves in no time!

+1 ... excellent advice! Sounds like razor burn to me, which is usually caused (or maybe always) by too much pressure. Work on your razor skills using the WTG passes mentioned, and go for an irritation free shave.

Let us know if this helps the quality of your shaves!

A few suggestions:

1. As said above be careful about pressure and blade angle. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. This post may help you. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249125-Holding-a-Razor?
  2. It's possible you are having an allergic reaction to the products you are using. Put some of the lather on your arm and see if you get that reaction.
  3. For some people cold water shaving works better. Give it a try and see for yourself.
  4. Try a less aggressive razor. I have a thick beard and sensitive skin, also. There are times when a less aggressive razor with a sharp blade works better for me.

1ST of all thanks for the advice. Used QCS last night, face start to string from the get go. Had to finish shaving with a cartiage razor to easy the pain an to get a fairly good shave. Use a new razor blade which was a gillette blue box, my face is still stringing from last night. Going to let my face heal over the next few days. Also use THE SHAVEDEN AFTERSHAVE MILK & AFTERSHAVE IN TSD SCENT ( both burn an turned my face red). Having allergic reaction to the products I am using. ANY ADVICE. THANKS AN GOD BLESS.

Sorry to hear about your problems. :sad:

Here are some more things you can try.

I use Uberlather which combines soap and cream with a few drops of glycerin to the lather to help with a smooth, irritation-free shave. Since using uberlather, I have consistently gotten better shaves with no irritation. However, even with this lather NO PRESSURE and blade angle are vital. Since you are having issues with your product you can use unscented soaps and creams to make Uberlather. For example, you can combine either Mama Bear's unscented soap with AOS unscented cream and see if this works. Or you can try an unscented soap or cream alone.

What you do after you shave also is important.

First, I take any remaining Uberlather from my shaving mug and gently massage it onto my face and neck. The lather which contains glycerin is very soothing. I then rinse my face with cool water to take off the lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH. Thayers also makes an unscented WH. All are alcohol free and do not sting when going on but provide soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer or ASB to provide relief. There are a number of good products out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. Another good one that is not meant only for shaving but does an excellent job is CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. Also, at night I put on a moisturizer – usually CeraVe – and that hastens the healing process and prepares my face for the next day’s shave. If my face is really raw I use a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. My wife’s moisturizer always provides me with relief. It contains something called hyaluronic acid, which according to the pamphlet that came with it, holds more than 1,000 times its weight in moisture. This may seem like a lot of steps – but it only takes a minute or two and for me the results are worth it.

I hope this works. :001_smile

Top Bottom