What's new

Am I really going to appreciate the Chosera 1k over my DMT 1200?

Considering that I use either a dilu-blue (BBW) or dilucot after I set the bevel, will I really notice a difference if I change up bevel-setters? I tell myself that the dilucot will get rid of the DMT scratch pattern and leave a nice edge no matter what. However, enough people have raved about the Chosera that I have to wonder...

Hard to say what differences You may notice. To me they are two very different stones in terms of feel, speed, and bevel characteristics. I use the DMT to quickly set a rough bevel, then use the chosera to refine that bevel.

Ok good point. I'm more concerned with whether the final product is affected, not honing speed or feel or any of that.

If you mean the final, final (off the finisher) product, no -- Assuming you spend the time to take out the deep DMT scratches. The quality of the edge will not be different. It will take significantly less time, however.

I am a Big coti fan also. IMHO, you would do well to position a Chosera between the DMT and the coti. Even with a milky slurry, taking care of those DMT scars will take time. You will be amazed at the polishing properties of the Chosera. Plus, I can tell from that last Hmm that you want the Chosera. Just as, in a little while, you will want a Nakayama, an Escher, a Charnley, etc.... You turned the key, you buckled yourself in, you've got a full tank of gas. Now, you might as well go for the ride.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am a Big coti fan also. IMHO, you would do well to position a Chosera between the DMT and the coti. Even with a milky slurry, taking care of those DMT scars will take time. You will be amazed at the polishing properties of the Chosera. Plus, I can tell from that last Hmm that you want the Chosera. Just as, in a little while, you will want a Nakayama, an Escher, a Charnley, etc.... You turned the key, you buckled yourself in, you've got a full tank of gas. Now, you might as well go for the ride.

LoL...and & I thought I was an arm twister! Great analogy...and I myself am running out of gas and no money in the pocket for another fill up :lol:

The last thing I need this morning is a f*$@*g enabler!!! GRRRRRRR. :D

Hey man, this economy needs!!!! you, take one for the team here. If its any consolation, I am nuts enough to think i need one, and i have a 1k ss stone.

Ian

Last edited:
I know this wasn't the spirit of your question, but I find a 1k after the DMT 1200 is helpful before moving on to the coti. I don't have a Chosera, but I use my Naniwa SS 1k after the DMT and before moving to the slurry on my coticule and have been pleased with the results.

I have both dmt, 1k c. I like them both. If i had one choice , it would be the 1k c, reason being, it feels very smooth in use ,leaves a nicer bevel, to look at, ie quite polished.

A perfect bevel is a perfect bevel - doesn't matter how you get it. I got perfect bevels on Nortons, Super Stones, the DMT, a King, and Cotis.
I prefer the Chosera..
Why?
Because feel - to me - is everything. I have a 1.2k DMT and while it works, I'd rather not be honing on a cheap industrial plate that gives me a feeling like I'm running my fingernails ona chalkboard.

Fine, fine, I hate you all. I'm gonna buy one. Thought about the King because it is so cheap and I used to use a friend's, but I don't care for how soft it is.

I have the DMT 1200 and while the Naniwa is a nice stone I wouldn't spend the extra on it. Yeah, ya don't get any feedback like a Coti but it sure does the job good and it's fast. I've used the Chosera and just can't justify the high price to do the same job the DMT already does in spades.

My DMT collects dust after getting the chosera 1K. You don't need the DMT and why you would use a DMT 1200 then chosera 1K before the coticule is just unnecessary work. The chosera 1K is so fast and leaves a much better scratch pattern than the DMT before going to your coticule.

Setting the bevel is the most important part of sharpening and for me it is well worth the $90 to spend in this area, then several hundred for another finisher that really won't make any noticeable difference than the ones you have.

My DMT collects dust after getting the chosera 1K. You don't need the DMT and why you would use a DMT 1200 then chosera 1K before the coticule is just unnecessary work. The chosera 1K is so fast and leaves a much better scratch pattern than the DMT before going to your coticule.

Setting the bevel is the most important part of sharpening and for me it is well worth the $90 to spend in this area, then several hundred for another finisher that really won't make any noticeable difference than the ones you have.

i use the DMT before the Chosera because, imho, it is faster and I rate the grit as significantly lower. I know this is contrary to the advertised grit ratings of the two stones, but that is my experience. I agree the scratch pattern is harsher, but the Chosera makes short work of that. I also prefer the feel of the Naniwa.

I also noticed a difference when I went from DMTs to Naniwas. I'd never actually seen it commented on so I wasn't sure if it was just the power of suggestion or something. And I agree with the DMT followed by the Naniwa thing, ones fast and the other is for a nice edge. I always gently "wipe" breadknife/downstroke-- whatever you want to call it-- the edge to get rid of the teeth the dmt leaves before going to the Naniwa.

So, wow. I'm looking at this green monstrosity and thinking this belongs in the foundation of a building someplace. I mean seriously, it is enormous. Please tell me I don't have to lap it.

Top Bottom