What's new

Long time lurker, first time shaver.

Greetings lads,

long time lurker who took my first giant leap into Wet Shaving last night after being a dedicated electric boy.

Having read LOTS of threads, the wiki and spent at least a month investigating I was keen to get the brush, soap and technique right with a cartridge before I went to DE.

Here's the set up I used last night (my wife just returned from the UK and I had given her a list of stuff to get me)

Edwin Jagger Chatsworth cartridge razor
Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn soap and also after shave lotion
Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush
Penhaligons Blenheim Boutique EDT

Hot shower whilst soap prepped with a few drops of hot water on surface and brush soaked. All the advice and tips enabled me to build a great lather in the mug which I kept warm in a shallow-filled basin. Lather looked as close to the mantic videos as I could get it and I could not wipe the sides of the mug clean. The scent of the lather, which my wife picked out along with some of the EJ sandalwood completely permeated the bathroom and when she walked in to check my progress half way through the shave thoroughly adored and sniffed the mug of lather appreciatively. First 2 passes WTG with minimal pressure (understandably tougher with a cartridge I'm told). Third pass XTG and a fourth ATG with minimal touch-up required. Cold rinse. Then applied the lotion. All up about 40 minutes.

Inspection? No nicks. No razor burn. NONE! No alum or styptic required. Not sure if this is normal with a cartridge but it has been a LONG time between wet shaves for your humble narrator (note: being a corporate type; explains the avatar and sig; I shave every day with a $500 Braun System 7 and travel extensively carrying it with me, have never felt like the electric has given close shaves and often have experienced some redness on the neck and bumps on the neck area - and replacement head costs and the System 7 cleaning fluids are a b#tch!)

Applied the Blenheim Boutique EDT after completing my ablutions (about 20 minutes post-shave) and walked into the kitchen where wife proceeded to check the face and said that she could not remember last time my face felt so clean and smooth. Commented on the scent too!

I am scheduling several more cartridge shaves before I step into DE; I have a Gilette Tech I found and won on ebay which is ready to go along with a pack of sampler blades. Also considering an EJ DE89 so the RAD has kicked in already.

Impressions? Never believed I would enjoy a shave as much as I did and come up the next day, 12 hours after shaving, looking better than straight after an electric.

Thanks to EVERY post I have read, all the content in the wiki, and the fact that even a site like this exists. It's great to feel the support and community that is Badger & Blade.

Mad Man

Welcome in. Sounds like you have everything well under control and enjoying the new experience. Nothing like a clean fresh wet shave with a razor.

thanks folks - don't think I could have gotten this far without you; have seen some of your posts/replies and respect the welcome.

Welcome.

If you thought you got anything close to a DFS with an electric razor, you'll grow to love wet shaving. I used to try a new one every 5 years or so just to see ..... never ended up keeping it.... Always got much better with a cart and wet shaving. Then I got an EJ89L 2 months ago - haven't looked back since. Still working on what blade works best but still way better....

Only reason I have the EJ cartridge is MRS (which I now know stands for "MisReadS") my order which specifically stated the make/model. She got EVERYTHING else right and that WRONG.

She could not understand why I was sooooo disappointed when I opened the box...still, it IS a nice piece and I am keen to get the 89L next.

Don't see how the "I will save money" claims being made here really apply - can already feel the itch.

Impressions? Never believed I would enjoy a shave as much as I did and come up the next day, 12 hours after shaving, looking better than straight after an electric.

Cool! Enjoy your shaves! We certainly do! ...and welcome to b n b!

Top Bottom