What's new

New from California

Hello all,

My name is Nick and I am very excited to find this site. I am 32 and have been shaving wet for I don't know how long. The bathroom ritual is one of my favorites, yet I seem to always look forward to the post-shave experience: splashing on a nice aftershave or spraying a couple of shots of a great scent. Now, however, I would like to pay a little more attention to the products and techniques used during the actual shave.

I have pretty much used Barbasol foam/Gillette Mach 3 for the past several years, but would like to step it up a bit. Any suggestions?

I am looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here, and I hope to add to the conversation. Thanks ahead of time.

Hi Nick and welcome. Since the bathroom ritual is one of your favorites, I don't need to tell you to just relax, have patience, and enjoy your shaves. Believe me your face will thank you for not using your barbasol and mach 3. Don't throw away the mach 3. In a few years it will be a collectable that you'll be able to sell on Ebay!!!

Nick,

Welcome to the site. I'm a newbie so this is my path and some opinion.

There are many ways to "step up" but it will be more different than that. The best way I can put it is that you're scraping your face with multi-blades now not shaving whiskers.

To get an idea of what's going on watch mantics videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mantic59

For the shaver:
I would suggest getting an HD or a Progress Merkur. Also buy a razor sampler set.

For the foam:
Get a badger brush and make lather that way. It's completely different from what comes out of a can. I use the cream for of soap in a mug.

For how to:
The "Gourmet Guide To Shaving" will sort all this out.
http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07/10/a-guide-to-the-gourmet-shaving-experience/

Nick,

Welcome to B&B from a fellow Californian. By joining our little group you are well on your way to further shaving nirvana. Do check out Mantic's videos, he covers, well, everything. Search around the forum for reviews and opinions on razors etc. There are answers aplenty available to you.

Good luck!

Top Bottom