What's new

Seriously... who can you talk to?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Aside from B&B and perhaps other wet-shaving boards, who can you really talk to about this... this... Sicilian thing. No, no, uh, I mean't hobby, without them thinking you are a complete loon. SWMBO tolerates it as she has been through the compact disc (goes back to when we were dating) clothes, shoes, wine, scotch and yes even on-line poker obsessions. It seems that even the people that I have "enlightened" :rolleyes: to the ways of the badger and blade consider it a passing topic in conversation. Since we can't all be glued to the computer (except Ouch :lol: ) all the time, who do you talk to about this wonderful obsession, if I may use the term.

I start with family, because they know better than to make fun of me.
Then I move to close friends.
I plan to bribe them all with free samples.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This is about it for me. To discuss shaving at work with guys who build race cars would be about as well received as talking about flowers. Even the head shaver would not be interested in talking about shaving.

For over twenty years I had to keep my shaving business to myself. I even made the mistake of buying a couple of nice shaving brushes as gifts many years ago, when $35 was quite a bit for me. I could have just as well given them a coupon for fifty cents off their next purchase of a Boeing 747, the comic value alone would have been worth more to them than the brush.

Aside from the fact that MBW regularly uses my stuff, it doesn't really get talked about. Although, she did think my sick post about the cats was pretty funny. :biggrin:

I was saying something about wet shaving to my sister-in-law, a while back. She mentioned that her husband had used a brush and mug all his life. Thinking he must be more interested in shaving than the average guy, I asked him about it and asked him what kind of razor he uses. Just a Gillette cartridge razor of some sort.

I tried to talk about my double-edge razors and he looked at me like I was crazy. End of conversation.:redface:

Tim

I'm fortunate in that 3 of my coworkers are also very good friends. Of the three, one is now a full convert, one is in transition, and the third has recently become quite interested. When they get tired of listening to me, my wife is always kind enough feign interest.

I've got a six year old grandson that I want to teach how to shave. Maybe his older sisters too. My family knows that I'm a little different. Actually my wife probably thinks its more that I'm crazy. Why do you want to handle those dangerous razors. The M3 wont cut you the way THOSE do.

I have a couple of kids who I converted at work. We worked a large job into a weekend, I had not shaved for 48 hours and they could not get over how heavy and thick my beard was, they had never seen me without a BBS shave before and that sold them both on wetshaving. I have them using a Bic Metal and C&E almond cream with badger brushes.

I've got SWMBO using my C&E best and a tube of Trumper's rose......she told me yesterday she thought she was hooked. other than that, yeah people think I'm weird. weirder than they already though, that is.

That is a good question.
For me I would have to say SWMBO puts up with it, althought she has the verbage down pretty well.

I do keep misc. wet shaving items in my guest bathroom that always can be good conversation.

I can only talk about it here, I've got other friends who now enjoy the quality of their shaves more now using good products, but the idea of shaving as a hobby they think is ridiculous, so all I have is you guys.

I only have the members of the B&B. I can't even get SWMBO to feign an interest, but she sure appreciates the results! But, recently one of my close friends has been curious. When I get a new brush I am giving him my old one, along with a small smattering of blades, a couple soaps, and a soap bowl. But, don't call me too kind yet..I'm adding in a Feather Popular for his first DE. :devil:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think a good point is that although we think about getting BBS shaves and we think we are in our own world, people do notice the results. As many have said, SWMBO enjoys/appreciates it. But like Jim points out, when you go a couple of days w/o shaving, people you see on a regular basis really do notice. In every SOTD I mention a touch up with a disposable Gillette. This is really done on the upper lip/under the nose area. One time when I ran out of disposables, I deviated from the routine and my wife thought I forgot to shave my upper lip. See, they notice. To an untrained eye, nobody would have thought that. The fact that co-workers have approached me to ask me what sort of razor I use because they notice I always have a good, no great shave (not that they want to get into a full-blown conversation) is proof enough that all the extra effort is worth it. And how often is "extra effort" this much fun?

I'm lucky as I get to talk to loads of people about it. Most clients have a lot of questions regarding products, hardware and technique.

Obviously I'm trying to sell them stuff on top of their shave and haircut but it's nice to be able to talk to a wide range of people about something I know about, especially as they seem interested, those that don't fall asleep that is. :blushing:

I have learnt a hell of a lot from this forum with regard to angles and directions and hardware and products and it's great to be able to pass the knowledge on.

Cheers B&B :cool:

Mat

Actually, even my barber thinks I'm weird when i ask him something about traditional wetshaving, he uses a rotary electric :eek:

Only a passing conversation for me and my co-workers and friends.
B & B is really the only place I can talk about "this thing of ours".:001_wub:
You should of seen the looks and heard the comments from some of my co-workers when I told them I use a shaving cream called Nancy Boy!
:rolleyes:
Oh well, pity on the Un-enlightened!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't want any of my friends to know about this stuff- they don't deserve it.

This place is for those who want to seek out the advice contained herein.

Cosa Nostra :biggrin:

Best mate, although he's a Gel and Sensor bloke

Converted one of my mates to brush and cream, just have to see if he'll move away from cartridges

Have instructed my 14 year old son on the vitues of lathering up with a brush (Got him an Omega brush a couple of weeks ago)

SWMBO - Thinks I'm puddled

Top Bottom