What's new

Beers with the seasons

While at the liquor store the other day, I came to a realization that I drink beers with the seasons.

All summer it was various types and styles of lager that I was craving. So light, bitter and bubbly, it can extinguish the heat of even the hottest of Summer's days. Now, it's late August and things are starting to wind down. It's getting cooler at night and Fall is just around the corner. Ale is what I want.

The other day I was at one of the local watering holes with some friends and on a whim I ordered an IPA. It was outstanding! To further add to my theory of sub-conscious seasonal beer preferences, I've got some Murphy's Irish Stout parked in the fridge as I type this. I haven't drank Murphy's or Guinness since March!

So please, all you beer lovers, tell us what makes you tick!

I'm the same way.
Lagers in the summer, Ales in the cooler months. I also would add that, in general, lighter colored beers are best in the summer months. Exceptions to this rule are abundant, but generally speaking, this is so.

Works out great if you brew your own... Lagers prefer the colder temperatures, so I brew them in the winter when the thermstat sits at roughly 60-65. Then they are ready to drink when the weather warms up. Likewise for Ales in the summer heat.

I agree with the general trend, but I stopped to pick up some beer the other day and even though it was hot and muggy out, I wanted something dark and heavy. (It's generally what I prefer anyway.) I got some Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Imperial Stout, and Taddy Porter. I'm under doctor's orders to limit my carb intake, so if I drink a beer, it had better be a good one. Some of my other favorites are Anchor Porter, Watney's Cream Stout, and another English beer I've never found near here but can find if I visit friends in Montpelier, Vermont called St. Pete's (I think; comes in an attractive green oval bottle).

I saw one in the shop the other day that has mustard seed in it. I'm tempted to try it, but at $4+ a bottle, I hesitate.

I dont have the resources to lager beer, so I brew (and drink) a variety of ales. I enjoy some of the lighter lagers during the summer, but for some reason, this summer I really craved IPAs. Light *enough* and crisp and refreshing. I also brewed a blonde summer ale this summer that was extremely refreshing.

I dont have the resources to lager beer, so I brew (and drink) a variety of ales. I enjoy some of the lighter lagers during the summer, but for some reason, this summer I really craved IPAs. Light *enough* and crisp and refreshing. I also brewed a blonde summer ale this summer that was extremely refreshing.

Ed, you make a great point about the IPA. For an ale, it's definitely light enough to drink in hot weather...and damn, that shot of hops straight to the head can't be bad either!

I also enjoy drinking a good pale ale during the summer. Sweetwater 420, Terrapin Rye Pale Ale :drool: etc.

And of course, you can't leave out the Hefe's and Wits.

Well for the summer months its IPA, my favorite being Dogfish Head 90 minute and the hard to find 120 minute. For the winter thru spring I enjoy Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout or Victory Stormking Imperial Stout. All consumed using a very nice Waterford pilsner glass. I'm sure glad tomorrow's payday...

I'm really looking forward to Leinie's Oktoberfest which should be in stores this Friday for my weekly beer run!

Got to gear up for the first Badgers game this Saturday! Wo-hoo!

Well for the summer months its IPA, my favorite being Dogfish Head 90 minute and the hard to find 120 minute. For the winter thru spring I enjoy Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout or Victory Stormking Imperial Stout. All consumed using a very nice Waterford pilsner glass. I'm sure glad tomorrow's payday...

:drool: :thumbup1: :drool: :drool: :a17:

I've been drinking Blue Moon mostly this summer, but IPAs occasionally, and I had Celis Raspberry last week (really very good without being too sweet). The rest of the year I like the stouts and ales.

Usually hoppy bitter doesn't do it for me at all, but it is true, summer and hoppy seem to mesh for some reason ?! Is it because a lighter beer that's not somewhat bitter is often too close to mass produced crap **** water?

Beer is good

Summertime is for Hefeweizen:

Paulaner
Sudwerk
Widmer

Wintertime is for:
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
Rogue Old Crustacean
Guinness
Smithwicks
Anchor Steam

I'm really looking forward to Leinie's Oktoberfest which should be in stores this Friday for my weekly beer run!

Got to gear up for the first Badgers game this Saturday! Wo-hoo!

I can confirm an Oktoberfest sighting in Hudson, so if it's not there already, I'm sure it won't be long. :thumbup:

I can confirm an Oktoberfest sighting in Hudson, so if it's not there already, I'm sure it won't be long. :thumbup:

Hopefully. You'd amazed at how hard it is to get Leinie's around here. Everywhere has Original, Light, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat, but Berry and Creamy Dark? Fahgetaboutit. Not to mention when the seasonals are out. Granted Summer Shandy is(was)all over the place, but Big Butt(my favorite Leinie's seasonal)and Oktoberfest are rather rare. It's not a huge deal, but come on, the brewery is 20 freaking miles away!

Also, they are test marketing a new ruby/brown ale in select bars. Each bar names it something different, so next time you are down at the watering hole, ask if they have the secret new Leinie's brew. You won't be disappointed!

One of my favorite cold weather beers used to be Leinenkugel's Maple, but, alas, it was discontinued years ago. It was a somewhat dark amber, with a very subtle maple aftertaste (from the real maple syrup they used in the recipe). It wasn't sweet at all - the maple flavor was a very quiet whisper. Just wonderful in front of a roaring fire.

One of my favorite cold weather beers used to be Leinenkugel's Maple, but, alas, it was discontinued years ago. It was a somewhat dark amber, with a very subtle maple aftertaste (from the real maple syrup they used in the recipe). It wasn't sweet at all - the maple flavor was a very quiet whisper. Just wonderful in front of a roaring fire.

I vaguely remember that. I was probably 12 at the time, I grew up down the road from the Leinenkugle's(family,not the brewery)John and my brother's were good friends.

They unfortunately have a bad habit of discontinuing all of their good beers. Amber Light was my favorite, which the discontinued for Sunset Wheat, which I despise. Bock was a favorite of my father's, which was discontinued in the late 90s if I remember correctly. Not to mention Leinie's Ice, Limited, Hefeweizen, Northwoods, and Autumn Gold. The replaced all of their solid good beers with wimpy, novelty, fruity concoctions.

And the new beer is apparently named Big Eddy Imperial IPA. Everyone seems to love it so chances are they will never make it again.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/35806

L

LeinieLodge

Hi Everyone~

We saw this thread and couldn’t help but let you know about the new Leinenkugel’s “What’s Your Mix?” website. I invite each of you to visit Leinie's and click on “What’s Your Mix?” to see how folks are mixing the Leinie’s family of beers. You can even show us your own mixing skills by submitting a mix. We’ve gotten some great ones so far.

To Life and Leinie’s!
Diane Schindler
Leinie Lodge Fulfillment Supervisor

Hi Everyone~

We saw this thread and couldn’t help but let you know about the new Leinenkugel’s “What’s Your Mix?” website. I invite each of you to visit Leinie's and click on “What’s Your Mix?” to see how folks are mixing the Leinie’s family of beers. You can even show us your own mixing skills by submitting a mix. We’ve gotten some great ones so far.

To Life and Leinie’s!
Diane Schindler
Leinie Lodge Fulfillment Supervisor

Nice!

Top Bottom