What's new

Vintage DE Safety Razors

I have been considering purchasing an antique or vintage DE razor. Not looking for it to be a retirement plan, just want it because I think it is cool to have an old school razor. That being said I have no idea where to start. What are considered great old razors, which should I stay away from? Benefits to TTO vs 2 or 3 piece etc. Any help would be great.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Do you like mild.....or aggressive. If you want to go with a mild shave I will PIF you either a Tech or Flare Tip SuperSpeed. None of them are real pretty but they sure work good. If you are interested let me know which you would prefer, and PM me your addy.

Not trying to be snide or flippant, but that's essentially the core discussion of this entire board. You're going to have to be a bit more specific if you want to get useful advice....

A 1950-60's SuperSpeed is a great place to start. Take up HDStreetGlide on his generous offer of a flare-tip SS.
I would also consider looking for a Gillette Slim Adjustable. That would be a razor that could be a life-time razor.

If you want to go really old-skool, look for a Gillette Old Type. They can be aggressive (which isnt a necessarily bad thing)
and are usually inexpensive.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A Slim or any adjustable for that matter is the only DE you will ever need. This is a good thing to remember if you hope to buy one and only one DE. You can't "outgrow" it as your technique improves, and it can be adapted to different blades. The FatBoy is cool, as in James Dean or Robert Mitchum cool, but unfortunately this means there is a premium on this model apart from it's value as a shaver. A Slim is, if anything, an even better shaver and will typically cost a bit less.

If you don't want an adjustable, any superspeed would be a good purchase. A ball end tech will work if you don't care for a TTO (Twist To Open) but me, I like a TTO, partly for the cool factor. Another TTO that would make a fine first DE is a "blue star" ladies' gillette. They are mild shavers and some of us guys like the long handle. If it is too mild for you, you can try a more aggressive blade such as a feather.

It's not a DE but you might want to learn a bit about the Rolls razor. It is a challenge to get a really great shave with one, but the cool factor is very very high. The case is also a honing and stropping mechanism and the blade is reused practically forever.

Go for a flare tip Super Speed or a British Rocket. Then try a Slim. FatBoys are too dear for what they are. You can still find Slims at reasonable prices and they have a coolness factor in that Sean Connery used one in "Goldfinger". Honestly, I believe that the Fatboy Adjustable is seriously over valued.

Ha ha ha, I like my fat boys but I got mine for free or before they prices started jumping up. The cheapskate I am if I had to buy one it wouldn't be one and I would get a slim. I do however like the short handle and weight.

I am going to start with a SuperSpeed and a Tech as HDStreetGlide suggested. Perhaps then I can formulate a decent idea of what I seek. The fatboys seem cool, but pricey.

My very favorite adjustable is my Gillette that I bought brand new in 1965 with money earned after school @ the gas station ! it is starting to show its age and Ive been thinking about replating it but hate to send it out ! the slims work super !

Top Bottom