What's new

Has there been a New Jersey Get Together?

Here is a link to the Zagat page for Downtown Princeton ... they list 46 restaurants that may fit our needs.

http://www.zagat.com/search?text=&w...re[radius]=0.4&o[d]=fri&o[h]=20&sort=location

Each of these locations should be within easy walking distance of "A Little Taste of Cuba" at 70 Witherspoon Street.

I also sent this to my brother, who lived there for many years, and knows the area as a local. I'll see if he has any recommendations on one place or another, and pass along whatever he comes up with.

I just looked through the Zagat page, thanks. The steak/seafood place and Triumph Brewing looked good. I almost booked my engagement party at Triumph a few years ago but decided on something closer. I like Indian but many don't, just trying to find out what will work for everyone. Is there any cuisine that anyone isn't fond of?

I'm starting to get excited.

I just looked through the Zagat page, thanks. The steak/seafood place and Triumph Brewing looked good. I almost booked my engagement party at Triumph a few years ago but decided on something closer. I like Indian but many don't, just trying to find out what will work for everyone. Is there any cuisine that anyone isn't fond of?

I'm starting to get excited.
I'm getting excited, too.

I looked at the Triumph page, and I'm glad to see they have Private Rooms available ... I'm not sure if we'll need one, but it would be nice for us to hold our swap-meet/get-together in a place where our shave-geekiness won't disturb other patrons, and vice-versa.

I'll eat just about any type of cuisine. Indian is something I don't get very often, so that might be nice. I'm a big fan of Sushi and other Japanese food, but find it too expensive to enjoy more than once a year or so. Then again, since this is going to be a special occasion, I'm not going to be too concerned about the budget, so if we pick a place that is a tad on the pricey side, I think I can cope with it.

How many people are we expecting to attend?

I see 9 members so far that have expressed interest and are in range. I know there are more members that will jump in once the word gets out and the details are settled upon.

dpm802
dannymayo
Jim
RudyVey
brianW
DaveNJ74
pianoboy
alex2363
craigh87c

Did I miss anyone on the list? If so, copy and paste and add yourself in a new post.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
How many people are we expecting to attend?

I see 9 members so far that have expressed interest and are in range. I know there are more members that will jump in once the word gets out and the details are settled upon.

dpm802
dannymayo
Jim
RudyVey
brianW
DaveNJ74
pianoboy
alex2363
craigh87c

Did I miss anyone on the list? If so, copy and paste and add yourself in a new post.

I think you can also add:
Dunedinranger
NJPaddy

So here's what my brother suggested ...
Winberie J B Restaurant & Bar
Yankee Doodle Tap Room
Triumph Brewing Co.
Mediterra
Witherspoon Grill

Those would all be good. They are all a 3 minute or less walk from Little Cuba.

dpm802
dannymayo
Jim
RudyVey
brianW
DaveNJ74
pianoboy
alex2363
craigh87c
DunEdinRanger
NJPaddy

List updated ... thanks, Rudy.

rmrdaddy is somewhere in SNJ, I'm not sure he even knows this thread is going on. Then there's that guy that runs Shave-a-Buck somewhere down the Jersey Shore, I think. More Garden Staters will be crawling out of the woodwork as the word gets out.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
dpm802
dannymayo
Jim
RudyVey
brianW
DaveNJ74
pianoboy
alex2363
craigh87c
DunEdinRanger
NJPaddy

List updated ... thanks, Rudy.

rmrdaddy is somewhere in SNJ, I'm not sure he even knows this thread is going on. Then there's that guy that runs Shave-a-Buck somewhere down the Jersey Shore, I think. More Garden Staters will be crawling out of the woodwork as the word gets out.

The "guy" that runs Shave-a-buck, is "gman41098 here" - can be found in the vendor section. Send him a pm...

Atlantic City is directly accross from Cherry Hill and Philly if anyone is uncertain, mile 38 on the Parkway, a bit too south to be fair to all. Princeton is just about dead center and with the downtown should be the setting you seek. If things mesh with work count me in.

OK, so everyone seems to agree that Princeton has the right geography for us ... now we need to decide on a date and a place to eat.

I think that holding it on a Sunday might be better to get more people out. Also, I think that Sunday would mean less crowds at whatever establishment we decide on. (A Little Taste of Cuba is open 12pm~4pm on Sundays.)

My brother's suggestions come from the perspective of a local, but we're by no means bound to just these five restaurants.
Winberie J B Restaurant & Bar
Yankee Doodle Tap Room
Triumph Brewing Co.
Mediterra
Witherspoon Grill

Those would all be good. They are all a 3 minute or less walk from Little Cuba.

Anybody have any preferences for dates and/or places?

Is'nt Sunday a Football day here in America. What do you think the crowds will be like in a bar and how many guys will miss a game they want to see. Sunday works for me as I am not that big a football fan that I can't miss a day on the couch but the crowds in a bar might be a little heavier than you think.

^^^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing, Saturday during the day would be good. Sundays by me, the bars are usually busier do to Football.

I never thought about Sunday football ... but you're right.

I work on Saturday, but I can put in a vacation day with enough advance notice.

this is interesting. Never done a shave GTG (plenty of car GTG's, Im a VW guy) It's a bit of a haul for me being in eastern CT (princeton is a little over 3.5 hrs for me) but I may actually come out for this - I havent seen or heard of any GTG's near my area.

this is interesting. Never done a shave GTG (plenty of car GTG's, Im a VW guy) It's a bit of a haul for me being in eastern CT (princeton is a little over 3.5 hrs for me) but I may actually come out for this - I havent seen or heard of any GTG's near my area.
There have been a few GTGs in the NYC area, as well as Northern NJ.

This one is centered on Princeton to make it accessible to ALL New Jersey wet-shavers, as well as those in Philadelphia and NYC areas.

As a CT resident, you're more than welcome to attend. In fact, if we had someone show up from Australia or South Africa or Europe, we'll let them in, too.

A 3.5 hour drive is more than I'd put in to go to a meet-up like this, but its up to you. Suggest you look into public transport like AmTrak, or maybe car-pooling with some of the guys coming from NYC.

And/Or you could put together your own GTG in Eastern CT ... you could draw in people from NYC to Boston and beyond. There used to be a Google Map which showed the location of all members that chose to be listed. I'm not sure what happened to that map, it seems to have fallen by the way-side during the recent forum software upgrade.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum, but am an old NJ guy now living in Western MD. I'd be interested in coming, but a Sunday would be hard for me, unless I take off Monday. But don't base your decisions on me.

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum, but am an old NJ guy now living in Western MD. I'd be interested in coming, but a Sunday would be hard for me, unless I take off Monday. But don't base your decisions on me.
I'm an old Maryland guy (Native Balti-Moron) now living in NJ, because that's where my job is. I'd love to move back to Charm City, but that will have to wait until I retire in 2014.

If I were in your location, a drive to Princeton would be too far for me ... but if you decide to come, you're more than welcome to join us.

a NJ meet, awesome! :p

I'm in Eatontown (Monmouth County) and think it'd be cool to meet some fellow members. Unfortunately, I'm booked every weekend until after Thanksgiving. Either way, maybe there are some people within the few counties that might be interested in a local county-ish meeting?

Who's starting the Tri-State League of Gentlemanly Pursuits Association? ;)

I was thinking the second Saturday in November, the 12th would be good. I figure the 12th leaves the weekends before and after Thanksgiving open in case anyone has family or friends around for the holiday weekends. How about it?

Top Bottom