What's new

Interesting Read

I think the straight razor afficionados will be pretty unhappy with his characterization of straight razors.

Otherwise, pretty interesting read.

Nice read. Reminds me of when I was a kid. All my class mates and I went to the 'Continetal'. On the first day of school there wasn't a boy with out short back and sides.

"“It rips you to f***ing shreds. It tears you to pieces,” says Bob in his inimitable East End accent, fixing me with his steely glare. “We only use a cutthroat for neatening up a goatee or a beard, but never for shaving. It’s like shaving with a f***ing sushi knife.”"

It's quite obvious he have never used a good straight.... :001_smile
If he had, he would know that a straight will give you a shave with less irritation than a DE.

Yes, I must agree I wasn't too happy about his comments on the SE either but I won't let it stop me fulfilling my boyhood fantasy of shaving with a SE :)

What I enjoyed about the article was the conversion of the journalist.

What?!?! The straight razor tears you to shreads?!?! Well, Bub, I ain't payin' for you to shave me with a Mach III cheese grater.

"“It rips you to f***ing shreds. It tears you to pieces,” says Bob in his inimitable East End accent, fixing me with his steely glare. “We only use a cutthroat for neatening up a goatee or a beard, but never for shaving. It’s like shaving with a f***ing sushi knife.”"

It's quite obvious he have never used a good straight.... :001_smile
If he had, he would know that a straight will give you a shave with less irritation than a DE.

I agree 100%. Cobbs has often been referred to as a sort of tricky fellow in the past on these boards as well. He supposedly made off or copied some designs from Rooney some years back but claimed them as his own. Some board members have actually met him in person in his shop. Supposedly his shaving creams/soaps are grossly overpriced and nowhere near in quality to what could be had by the three T's and Harris. This may be evidenced by the fact that he doesn't use them in his own shop but uses Edwin Jagger. And supposedly he's not that knowledgeable about this hobby as he leads his customers to believe. The descriptions I recall make him out to be sort of a poseur really.

The vulger nature of his responses also leads me to believe that he probably gets asked a lot about straights and since he doesn't really seem to know anything about them he uses scare tactics, false information and gruffness to get people off his back and cover up the fact that he's ignorant. It's a shame really.

Chris

I agree 100%. Cobbs has often been referred to as a sort of tricky fellow in the past on these boards as well. He supposedly made off or copied some designs from Rooney some years back but claimed them as his own. Some board members have actually met him in person in his shop. Supposedly his shaving creams/soaps are grossly overpriced and nowhere near in quality to what could be had by the three T's and Harris. This may be evidenced by the fact that he doesn't use them in his own shop but uses Edwin Jagger. And supposedly he's not that knowledgeable about this hobby as he leads his customers to believe. The descriptions I recall make him out to be sort of a poseur really.

The vulger nature of his responses also leads me to believe that he probably gets asked a lot about straights and since he doesn't really seem to know anything about them he uses scare tactics, false information and gruffness to get people off his back and cover up the fact that he's ignorant. It's a shame really.

Chris

I just went through the website,oh my....
The $200 "double sided gold razor" , claimed to be from England, looks more like something $5 from China
proxy.php

Chris

WoW! I'm really learning a lot real quick on this site!

Top Bottom