What's new

Second steeping of Tea versus the rest - what is the proper technique?

I have been sampling these teas for months, trying to decide which I like before upgrading and branching out.
proxy.php

I am steeping in a fairness pitcher, briefly washing the leaves and then doing the initial infusion. Though I don't always get the temperature right, or steep for the proper length of time it is mostly going okay.

If I wait 30-90 minutes before making a 2nd cup I will usually pour hot water over the leaves to reheat the pot and then pour that back into the cup to heat it. Even though the tea is steeped for just a few seconds while I reheat the containers, based on the color of the tea, especially when using Pu'er, its as if there has been a long infusion. Probably due to the leaves sitting there wet and primed. (Note the leaves are not sitting in water, but just retaining residual water from the 1st steeping.)

My concern is that I may be dumping the best tea, assuming I could get the strength correct? The 3rd and 4th steepings are tame in comparison where they just get weaker and/or need longer infusion times.

My question is am I approaching this correctly, should I adjust how I am doing the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd infusion? Other than needing a shorter infusion time is brewing Pu'er that different from an Oolong or Green Tea?

I only give the leaves another rinse if they have been sitting over nite, the water does loose some temp. but the tea hasn't gotten stale in that time typically. Much depends on tea to water ratio. And different teas respond to different treatments for example green tea covers a broad spectrum and I treat Japanese greens different than Yunnan greens. If your pouring larger cups you might do better with Japanese style brewing for green tea - start with about 5 grams per cup and do a 2 1/2 - 3 minute infusion, followed by a 30 second infusion, and a final 4 minute infusion. Adjust from there, I like a little more tea to water but I wouldn't want to start you off too strong. If your trying a gong fu method you should be getting many more infusions but at a higher ratio of tea to water. Infusion times should increase in the gong fu method with the number of steepings. 15- 20 infusions is common for puer and 10-15 for better oolong, average oolong 5-7, most green/white 3-5 depending on method and type of tea. There exceptions to every case, those are very general guidelines.

I only give the leaves another rinse if they have been sitting over nite, the water does loose some temp. but the tea hasn't gotten stale in that time typically. Much depends on tea to water ratio. And different teas respond to different treatments for example green tea covers a broad spectrum and I treat Japanese greens different than Yunnan greens. If your pouring larger cups you might do better with Japanese style brewing for green tea - start with about 5 grams per cup and do a 2 1/2 - 3 minute infusion, followed by a 30 second infusion, and a final 4 minute infusion. Adjust from there, I like a little more tea to water but I wouldn't want to start you off too strong. If your trying a gong fu method you should be getting many more infusions but at a higher ratio of tea to water. Infusion times should increase in the gong fu method with the number of steepings. 15- 20 infusions is common for puer and 10-15 for better oolong, average oolong 5-7, most green/white 3-5 depending on method and type of tea. There exceptions to every case, those are very general guidelines.

When brewing in the afternoon or evening, I do generally brew into a largish tea cup. Thanks for your tip about brewing the green tea, I followed these guidelines today and the 3rd cup of tea was the single best cup of green that I have made so far. I made a 4th cup but didn't steep long enough so it was not as good.

If you're not satisfied with your first cup try shortening the initial steep, some of my more vegital/astringent greens prefer a 90 second initial steep than the rest as described above, I also tend towards the cooler end of the steeping recomendations for greens rarely straying as high as 170f. Glad you're having greater success, part of the fun is getting to know each individual tea and what makes it happy.

This. Really, really this.

+2

On weekends, like today, I make a first pot with slightly hotter water, for less time, and by the 4th or 5th go, much hotter. Yes, the leaves are damp and leaking some of their essence; there's something to be said for different taste experiences of the same tea on repeated infusions. People more sophisticated that me (or maybe it's weirder; these people also do yoga, talk about authenticity a lot, wear spandex clothing to work) say it's a "Zen" thing. I just go for enjoyment.

I do 212 for black tea for five minutes..After that I do another minute for each brew..Never have I washed tea, but do what you like..

I do 212 for black tea for five minutes..After that I do another minute for each brew..Never have I washed tea, but do what you like..

The recommendation for washing leaves before making a pot of tea comes from the 18th and 19th centuries. Tea was often contaminated with various things, and they washed these away. Today's teas generally don't have this problem, they have been cleaned and sorted before they get to us.

Re temperatures: usually teas do better with not actively boiling. Tea blends are often tolerant of very hot water without bitterness. Which is the guide on how hot to have the water. Some delicate white and green teas need temps in the range of 85°C for first brewing (185°F) for 2-3 minutes, while some black teas which have been broken up can take almost boiling and brew for 1 minute. The wonderful thing about tea is that it is different virtually every time.

(Sorry if I come off as a know it all about tea. I have baking bread and drinking tea as my main pastimes for about 40 years. I drink about 10 cups of tea a day)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
(Sorry if I come off as a know it all about tea. I have baking bread and drinking tea as my main pastimes for about 40 years. I drink about 10 cups of tea a day)

No apology necessary at all. In fact, keep on talking! I enjoy your posts very much. They reflect both deep knowledge and clever wit.

Cheers!

(and it wouldn't surprise me if you could have some great bread baking discussion in The Mess Hall)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A lot depends on the type of tea. Whites? Usually one and done. I haven't encountered too many greens that make it past a second infusion. Some oolongs may provide five steepings and some pu'ers are barely tolerable until the third brew, after which you may enjoy upwards of ten brews.

Tea to water ratio and temperatures are all part of the fun.

Top Bottom