What's new

Have you been to any concerts/live shows recently?

Alison Krause and Union Station at Meadowbrook, near Lake Winnapesaukee, NH, earlier this month. What a great singer, what a great group of musicians!

Alison Krause and Union Station at Meadowbrook, near Lake Winnapesaukee, NH, earlier this month. What a great singer, what a great group of musicians!

I just saw Alison Krauss last weekend in Nashville. First time I've seen her and I really don't know when I've enjoyed a show so much. Jerry Douglas on the Dobro was absolutely smokin'. In the age of super overloaded multimedia wizardry, I was particularly impressed that it was a really honest show. Just great musicians doing their thing. No fancy stage trickery.

I also saw Billy Joel this year. Another good one. Been a fan for years, but just had never gotten the opportunity to see him live. Well worth it.

I'd love to see her!

I saw Billy Joel earlier this year (Charottesville, VA)

U2 in Denver (2 years ago?)
Norah Jones and a couple other shows at Red Rocks a few years ago

Red Rocks is the BEST place for a show! :001_wub:

I used to see shows all the time, but it's gotten much more difficult to go (time, cost, availability of tickets etc).:crying:

I just saw Alison Krauss last weekend in Nashville. First time I've seen her and I really don't know when I've enjoyed a show so much. Jerry Douglas on the Dobro was absolutely smokin'. In the age of super overloaded multimedia wizardry, I was particularly impressed that it was a really honest show. Just great musicians doing their thing. No fancy stage trickery.

I've seen her three times. Twice here in Alabama and once in Nashville. A top notch show every time. My wife is a huge fan of hers. I'm not much into country and especially bluegrass, but her flavor of it is unique and something I really enjoy. Her sense of humor is particularly entertaining to me as well.

Last gig I went along to to watch was the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Try to imagine Hawkwind's Silver Machine on seven ululeles...

I tend to play at more shows than listen. Tomorrow I'm depping for another box player somewhere at the Burnham on Sea Folk Festival. Think I'd better learn the tunes tonight!

Gareth

I saw MUSE for the third time a few months ago. Those guys keep on amazing me. Also last June Dave Matthews was in Amsterdam with Tim Reynolds on an accoustic setting.

Without a doubt that was the BEST performance I've ever seen anyone do live so far.

If you ever get a chance to see him acoustic DO....no matter the cost.

Concerts are a huge thing for me as well. But I've been business traveling so much this summer, I missed out on some good shows (The Veils, Richmond Fontaine, Joseph Arthur).
QUOTE]

Dang...I was also out of town whenever The Veils swung through Detroit. I was definitely disappointed. I keep hoping they come back over here.

A buddy of mine saw them in SF and said they were great.

I'd love to see Razorlight. They came to NY in May but I didn't even know about them then. Who knows when they're in the US again, let alone NY.

Concerts are a huge thing for me as well. But I've been business traveling so much this summer, I missed out on some good shows (The Veils, Richmond Fontaine, Joseph Arthur).
QUOTE]

Dang...I was also out of town whenever The Veils swung through Detroit. I was definitely disappointed. I keep hoping they come back over here.

A buddy of mine saw them in SF and said they were great.

It's funny...For months, I kept telling friends that "nothing will keep me from seeing that show." But at the last minute, I got called away for work. I was unbelievably disappointed. Cr@p! :incazzato

The Veils are a great little secret, aren't they? :thumbup1:

I went to see the Police @ Fenway Park the end of July. I was in college on their first US tour and they still rock!!

-Scott

I went to see the Police @ Fenway Park the end of July. I was in college on their first US tour and they still rock!!

-Scott

Everything I heard about this reunion tour is that it was extremely disappointing. I know they didn't practice, and didnt have good chemistry on stage.

The last live concert I attended in the US was in the early Spring of 1971, at the University of Iowa... yup, the Grateful Dead.

The last live concert I attended overseas was in the Spring of 1975, at a medium-sized amphitheater built into the crest of a mountain during WWII (on the site of a medieval monastary, directly across the river from the Heidelberg castle (then, West Germany)... Pink Floyd appeared one sunny Saturday afternoon, set-up quickly and quietly, and began playing.

I see that my music tastes aren't quite up to par with the rest of the group, but anyway...

My dear wife got me tickets to Kenny Chesney's stop in Detroit on Aug 18. I missed the opening act (Pat Green), Sara Evans was pretty good, Sugarland was OUTFREAKINGSTANDING (ever heard Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" done bluegrass-style?), Brooks and Dunn put some good spins on their old favorites, and the headliner, quite frankly, was subpar... although there was an attempt at "Honky Tonk Women" which included Kix Brooks and Pat Green. Might have turned out a bit better had all three remembered the words.

Mike in Michigan (contemplating a loyalty switch to Virginia Tech)

You mean This one? Classic early 70's Dead! What a setlist.

Yup. It was inside a huge fieldhouse, and there were folding chairs set-out in neat rows across the basketball courts. Well, once the concert started, people began folding-up those chairs and passing them toward the outside, so we could move and dance. The University honchos made the Dead stop playing, and would only allow the concert to continue on the condition that we replace the chairs back in their rows...

Thanks for the link!

The summer concert season is upon us again! Depending on where you live, there might not be much of a concert season. Heck, depending on where you live, it might not even be summer! Nonetheless, in the Northeast US, there'll be tons of big acts playing so I've bumped this thread.

Have you gone to any concerts or shows recently, wherever you are in the world? Are you planning on going to one this summer? Please share. :cool:

I'll start by saying that I'll be going to see Coldplay this fall, thank you very much.

I saw Eric Clapton outside Cleveland a couple weeks ago. My wife is not a fan ,so I went with a friend of mine that's in a band. He commented that it was the best technical concert he has seen. Robert Randolph and the Family Band opened, all I can say is unreal,Hendrix on the pedal steel ....One of the best concerts ever..

Top Bottom