What's new

AD and bourbon

Today I had my first painful shaving experience. I started DE shaving with VDH 2 weeks ago. This soap seemed to be a bit drying so I recently purchased the Ogallala soap sampler. Love the smell! But noob lathering techniques are questionable and the clove oil in the soap really burns my face upon application.
I have a ton of bath soaps Ive made sitting around so I thought "Why not?" I chose a goats milk shea butter blend that has a rich lather. I lathered it up and put it on my face. It felt great after the burning from the Ogallala, though in my haste I willfully ignored the faint crackling of a decomposing lather.
I shaved, damn smooth! But my face was sooooooo red and tender, cold water and Humphreys WH stung for the first time ever. My face is still pink and puffy.

I decided to purchase some MWF, Ive got a gift card from Amazon and figured I could go to town.
Lo and behold, the gift card balance was 3 bucks. Hmmm, I checked my purchase history and saw that on Sunday I placed an order for MWF, a razor sampler pack, a razor stand, col conks bay rum soap and a bottle of pinauds AS.
I have no recollection of this but I surmise that the Saturday evening bourbon tasting dinner may be the culprit. This may be my first beneficial blackout (have to check text, facebook, email and phone history first)!
Lucky for me the order should arrive by Weds!

The three things that caused pain for me in my shaves were:
Not using the tugging of the skin technique,
Using ultra sharp DE blades like Bic ( I switched to the Persona blades were are rebranded as Rite Aid brand) Duller blades are more comfortable and have given the same quality shave as the really sharp blades at least for me,
Not using the right shaving cream.

Ackvil is right - the correct formula is to shave slowly, get a nice cool shave then drink the bourbon and grunt like the cavemen we are.

Top Bottom