What's new

Merkur Progress or Futur

Both the regular and the XL Mergress are great, with a slight preference now to the shorter handle.

I love the Gillette adjustables but I still get the best shave from the Mergress.

I own a long-handle Progress, a Futur and a Vision 2000. The Progress is at bobs razor works having a new metal adjustment knob fitted to it. Along with my Edwin Jagger lined Chatsworth, these are my favorite razors and I get a terrific shave from all of them. At this level of quality, I think you'll get a great shave with all of them with the right blade, the right setting and good technique.

Visually, the Chatsworth is absolutely stunning - an elegant classic shape, perfect proportions and the best chrome you'll find anywhere. Compared to the other three, the Progress just looks like another ho-hum razor, but the new knob will help a bit. The Futur and Vision both have the satin finish and make real "fashion statements" - they both say "Hey - look at me!". They are true 21st century razors that owe nothing to traditional razor design/styling. I love them all, but if I had to give up one of them, it would be the Progress.

Another vote for the Futur. It's my goto DE razor and I think it's one of the finest DE razors that's ever been designed.

I have both a Futur and a Mergress Long Handle. The Futur is by far my favorite. I am actually thinking of putting my Mergress on the B/S/T board.

I love the Furtur. I have not tried the Progress yet; I have a Mergress on the way from Lee's Razors. The Furtur demands respect but will give you a smooooooooooooooooooth shave.

Just to reinforce my opinion that the razor for you might not be the one for the other guy- so many people love their Futurs- I bought one and hated it- I forced myself to use it daily for a month to give it a fair go and I still hated it. Goes to show, no razor is going to please everybody. Also, having used a couple Fatboys as well as the Futur, I never found any advantage to an adjustable razor- I use British Gillettes marked II, which I gather is medium aggressiveness, and a US made Gillette Aristocrat which is a bit more aggressive and they all work great for me. I have yet to use a Progress but hope to one day.

+1 concur....I too have had both, and my nod goes to the Progress (Mergress actually) Both worked well for me. The FUTUR handle takes a bit of getting used to, but when you find the sweet spot................perfection. Either way, you won't lose!

I have used/own both and my vote goes to the Progress. I just did not like the Futur! YMMV

I have an average beard and slightly sensitive skin. I get a better shave with the Progress. Regardless of what blade I use, I always get a scratchy shave from the Futur. Now the Vision - ahhhh, that's the best of them all.

I have two Futur razors, one chrome and one matte. I took one to a vacation home because I didn't know what else to do with it. Daily I use my Progress with Mer's stainless knob. For me, the Progress produces the best results. BTW, I cannot connect on the "tinny" criticism for the Progress, unless Merkur's QA has really suffered in the five years I've had mine. For the record, I have two 1960's Gillette fat boys that I overlook in favor of the Progress.

The other thing I notice on the Progress is the chrome?/Nickel is so badly applied, especially in the handle area.

The FUTUR is also pitted when you look at that under extreme magnification, it is there, but not as apparent by the naked eye, wheras the progress is. The Futur has an exceptionally solid feel to it in comparison to the progress too.

If you really want a treat, opt for the Mergress......Ive had both, and the Mergress is the best of the 2 IMO. Mer does a fantastic job with those things too!!!!

I have both a merGress and satin Futur ... between the two, I prefer the merGress, but even so, it doesn't get as much play time as my other (non-adjustable) razors. the Futur hasn't been used in at least 2 years, and I might as well put it on the BST so someone else can enjoy it.

I find the Futur to be finicky as to which blade it prefers ... I found Iridiums work best, but are discontinued. Feather was a close second, but tended to "chatter" a bit. I got great shaves from the Futur during the month or so that I used it, but it never became one of my go-to razors, and after 6 months of sitting idle, I put it back in the box and never touched it again.

the merGress is better, but if you get one, be sure to get the upgrade knob with it. It makes a world of difference. Also, if I had it to do over again, I would opt for the long-handled merGress XL.

Are you sure you have to have an adjustable? I've tried several different brands and models, but every time, I keep going back to the fixed-heads ... they just seem to shave better for me. YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom