What's new

Multiple Razors: Keeping Track of Shaves

I've put together four razors that I really like. Each has its own stand and brush. I use the brushes interchangeably, but each has its home. I shave six or seven times per week. I'm still experimenting with blades, but I think I've settled on Astras and Feathers.

However, I became frustrated trying to remember how many shaves I have on a given blade. I usually get about five shaves out of a blade, give or take, but how to keep track?

I pondered this for a couple of weeks, then it hit me like a bolt of lightning: dice. I know it may seem silly—I haven't found any discussion about this elsewhere and I don't know how others do it. By feel?

Anyway, this is my set up and I'm digging it:

proxy.php

l-r: Muhle R41/Shavemac 25, Megress (soon to be paired with Simpson E3), Vision razor/Futur brush, Stylo razor and brush

I like each of these razors for different reasons and shave with each of them regularly.

Oh, and here's my preliterate counting system:

proxy.php

Because the lowest face is 1, the up face of the dice indicates the upcoming number shave. If I change a blade, I set the die to 1, meaning I'm up for my first shave. Once done, I roll it to 2, ready for the second shave.

My memory is definitely not what it used to be, and this system makes the whole process more organized and, therefore, more relaxing and enjoyable. The dice are sitting on an incense holder from World Market so they're not rolling around all over the counter.

Last edited:
What I do is , I have a pen in my shaving drawer. Once I finish with shave I write a number of the shave on the paper in which the blade is wrapped. That way I know how many shaves done by this blade. If you are changing blade after x number of days then you can write date also.

Top Bottom