What's new

TTO Repair Question

I found a nice long handled slim adjustable with the black handle for a couple of $ at a junk store. The adjustment knob will not budge. If I hold the head of the razor, the handle turns with the knob. Doing this pushes the razor head up from the top of the knob. It is in great shape cosmetically and I don't want to ruin it, but I'm about to take a pair of pliers to this thing out of frustration. I've soaked it for days in scrubbing bubbles, doused it with wd-40, submerged it in boiling water and still no turning of the knob. Anyone know how to disassemble one of these properly or have a suggestion to free the knob? I only have three dollars invested in this thing, plus I picked up a near perfect slim adjustable at the same time for the same price. One way or another that knob is going to turn:cursing::cursing:

What you have is a super adjustable, not a slim.
The difference, and part of the problem you're having, is that the handle is made of aluminum and not brass.
The cap at the bottom should pry off fairly easily. Once that's done, you use the standard removal method involving either a socket of the right size, or the neck part of a cracked ball-end handle to uncrimp the cap on the shaft. Once the doors are out, that head should pop off easily, since it's wanting to already. Having that out of the way should make it easier for you to get some lubrication/solvents/cleaners into that dial and free it up.
Since it's aluminum, that head is probably not going to want to stay tight once it's loose like that. You might have to resort to epoxy.
On recrimping the inner cap, it is vital that you use a pliers that will fit in there. I used to just use two screwdrivers and pried on it to crimp it back using the knob as a fulcrum. That works on the brass slim and fatboy knobs, but the aluminum super A knobs will crack.

I'm reporting back to say the operation was a success! Thanks for the information guys. Now that I've seen how nasty the inner workings of an adjustable razor can be, regardless of how clean the outside is, I have a few more projects to do now.

I'm reporting back to say the operation was a success! Thanks for the information guys. Now that I've seen how nasty the inner workings of an adjustable razor can be, regardless of how clean the outside is, I have a few more projects to do now.

lol!
yes, it can be nasty in there. makes you wonder how up to date your tetanus shots are, eh?
congrats on the tear down!

Top Bottom