What's new

I've never used a smiley. Got nothin' against 'em... they just ain't for me.

While browsing the subforums this morning, I ran across a post from a member who peppered his message liberally with smileys, and it got me thinking - I've never used one.

On this forum or on any other. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them. They're just a device that I personally do not use to get my point across. They kinda fit into a category with internet shorthand for me (e.g. LOL, LMAO, etc...). I don't use that stuff either.

So what's the deal? Am I "old fashioned"? I'd tend to think not, as I'm only 34 years old.

Talk to me. :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I used a smiley once. I had made a humorous remark that could have been taken the wrong way by somebody so inclined, and wanted to make sure that my meaning was clear. I also do not use internet/chat shorthand. I really dislike acronyms, which sometimes makes reading this forum a bit of a challenge. I also don't use excessive punctuation to make a point!!!!!!!
(I also know the difference between "there", "they're" and "their"... and "to", "too" and "two"... but that's another topic...)

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
proxy.php

marty

I started using smilies a while back when I made a few joking posts and some people thought I was serious and went postal.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
While browsing the subforums this morning, I ran across a post from a member who peppered his message liberally with smileys, and it got me thinking - I've never used one.

On this forum or on any other. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them. They're just a device that I personally do not use to get my point across. They kinda fit into a category with internet shorthand for me (e.g. LOL, LMAO, etc...). I don't use that stuff either.

So what's the deal? Am I "old fashioned"? I'd tend to think not, as I'm only 34 years old.

Talk to me.

I'm not talking to you until you post more pictures of your new puppy. :001_smile

I use them to show intent. As in the comment above, many things posted could be taken more then one way when you can't see the face or hear the voice of the poster. I think I would feel lost without them. :a36:

Talk to me.

Don't worry, the Count won't take offence :001_tongu

No, seriously, smileys are an integral part of message board communication. They're visual shorthand for the subtleties that are so important in communication but don't translate well to the written word. They can be overdone, but they're not inherently bad.

I'm not a fan of smileys and find them distracting although they are less annoying than posts using all caps. However, I agree they can be invaluable when making a comment that is tongue in cheek. In this instance, it can mean the difference between getting a laugh and having an irate reply.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Talk to me. :ohmy:

:thumbup1:

:lol: :lol:

Smiley guys are the best.
Without them I'd have been kicked out of here years ago. :001_tongu
:thumbup1: <-- this guy is my favourite by far.

Top Bottom