What's new

QCS Basilica Review - thanks to Mike H !

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! My initial impression is that this is the best shaving lather product I have ever used, certainly the slickest. Got a BBS this morning with my standard 3-pass plus touchup and I usually get a DFS. I was enjoying it so much, I did take a bit more care and time than normal. Two hours later, still BBS.

Thanks to generous member, Mike H, who sent a sample in response to an inquiry I made in another thread.

The shave:

Edwin Jagger DE 89, Barley Chrome Handle
Gillette Super Platinum blade on shave #2 (Indian - Black)
King1976 custom brush with 24mm TGN Silvertip
Straight Razor Designs scuttle

I have to say, although it was OK, I'm not wild about the scent. It is supposed to be reminiscent of 'Holy Smoke' from Catholic High Mass services, which I love. IMO this is one scent that is better in its intended form than as a shaving soap scent. I enjoyed it this morning, but I would not purchase a tub.

But scent aside, what an AMAZING shave lather product. I say "shave lather product" because I now understand what a 'croap' is. This is neither soap nor cream, it's kind of in between, but my sample was more solid than not. It came in a small plastic snap-cap container and I pried it out with a butter knife. The lather was incredibly easy to whip up, and was dense and cushiony and definitely the slickest product I remember using. I've given up on melt & pour soaps entirely, but here are the products I use and like to give you an idea of my range of experience. I'm not a complete noob, but not a product master by any stretch of the imagination.

Soaps

Tabac
Irisch Moos
Provence Sante

Creams

Taylor's Avocado
Taylor's Rose
Art of Shaving Sandalwood
C.O. Bigelow
Park Avenue Classic

Due to the raves about Queen Charlotte Soaps Sandalwood, I will put that on my list of must haves. I understand it is a special order item, and I'm not sure if they list it as a cream or a soap, but if I can get something that shaves like this sample of Basilica did in a Sandalwood scent, it might take my top favorite spot!

it's sort of like cella being more suited to a sweet snack to have with coffee, as opposed to a shaving soap scent.

btw--did you end up ordering the razorock? just follwoing up on the neabling here.

v.

it's sort of like cella being more suited to a sweet snack to have with coffee, as opposed to a shaving soap scent.

Nah! Cella and the almond scent is the epitome of shaving scents. I love my Cella, my Acca Kappa, my P.160 - I love my almonds!

I had a sample of Basilica, too, and wasn't crazy about the smell, either, but I DO love the performance of QCS soaps. Their sandalwood is my favorite and I think the best sandalwood cream on the market right now.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

btw--did you end up ordering the razorock? just follwoing up on the neabling here.

v.

Sure did! Waiting on delivery now.

John, QCS lists soaps and creams. I do realize that the creams are thick (hence croap), but what did you get - soap or cream? Thanks!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
After reading the descriptions it must have been the 'croap'. I shaved at 7 AM this morning and it is 1 PM as I type this and six hours after the shave... hang on, let me check ...

Yep, right NOW my face feels like it normally does on my drive into the office in the morning. As if I just finished my shave. Since I've been using that razor, brush and blade for a while now I can only attribute it to the QCS product. I am VERY impressed!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It was a cream, John. I got a PM from tehtimmay and apparently there is not much difference between their soaps and creams. The soaps are hard creams and their creams are hard soaps. Something like that. Anyway, it comes in a tub. Awesome stuff, no doubt about it.

Wow! My initial impression is that this is the best shaving lather product I have ever used, certainly the slickest. Got a BBS this morning with my standard 3-pass plus touchup and I usually get a DFS. I was enjoying it so much, I did take a bit more care and time than normal. Two hours later, still BBS.

Thanks to generous member, Mike H, who sent a sample in response to an inquiry I made in another thread.
The shave:
Edwin Jagger DE 89, Barley Chrome Handle
Gillette Super Platinum blade on shave #2 (Indian - Black)
King1976 custom brush with 24mm TGN Silvertip
Straight Razor Designs scuttle

I have to say, although it was OK, I'm not wild about the scent. It is supposed to be reminiscent of 'Holy Smoke' from Catholic High Mass services, which I love. IMO this is one scent that is better in its intended form than as a shaving soap scent. I enjoyed it this morning, but I would not purchase a tub.

But scent aside, what an AMAZING shave lather product. I say "shave lather product" because I now understand what a 'croap' is. This is neither soap nor cream, it's kind of in between, but my sample was more solid than not. It came in a small plastic snap-cap container and I pried it out with a butter knife. The lather was incredibly easy to whip up, and was dense and cushiony and definitely the slickest product I remember using. I've given up on melt & pour soaps entirely, but here are the products I use and like to give you an idea of my range of experience. I'm not a complete noob, but not a product master by any stretch of the imagination.

Soaps

Tabac
Irisch Moos
Provence Sante

Creams

Taylor's Avocado
Taylor's Rose
Art of Shaving Sandalwood
C.O. Bigelow
Park Avenue Classic

Due to the raves about Queen Charlotte Soaps Sandalwood, I will put that on my list of must haves. I understand it is a special order item, and I'm not sure if they list it as a cream or a soap, but if I can get something that shaves like this sample of Basilica did in a Sandalwood scent, it might take my top favorite spot!

I have a tub of Basilica and will be using it this Fall, I'm looking forward to the scent, sniffed it in the tub and enjoyed it. The QCS Croaps are one of my Favorites and they all provide the same lather, regardless of the scent you choose, the Special Order can probably be done in puck as well as tub form. The Custom made page was not specific, but Matt is more than accommodating, aiming to please his customers; http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8

Right now my Favorite Wood scent is the Provence, a dry Cedar based scent good for the Colder months; followed by Celestial Woods, Wood and Pine scent, very nice for Spring. The Key Lime was my choice this Summer, a very Dry, Natural Lime Scent, not sweet like some others. Next Summer I have the Rose Otto and I'll be ordering a Lavender & Tangerine this Spring as a Birthday request from my Better Half.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! Sounds like most of your products (maybe all) are QCS? I was truly amazed at the lather, it was ridiculously slick. I did like the Basilica, by the way, just would buy other scents given the choice. That Provence sounds interesting, I love cedar. But I have to try their sandalwood next.

Wow! Sounds like most of your products (maybe all) are QCS? I was truly amazed at the lather, it was ridiculously slick. I did like the Basilica, by the way, just would buy other scents given the choice. That Provence sounds interesting, I love cedar. But I have to try their sandalwood next.

If that's directed to me... No, I use Tabac Shave Soap(~35 years) and discovered Creams and Soaps when I purchased a computer and discovered on-line shopping, ~3 years ago. I Love the AOS Lavender & Rose Otto (discontinued, but I have 5 more tubs), Turkish Old Spice SC, La Toja SC, Lea SC & the QCS and a couple of tubes Tabac SC. My Soaps are Tabac, Safari, La Toja Stick, Klar Kabinett, Klar Klassic and Spieck Stick. That about covers my current Crop of Soaps & Creams.

Top Bottom