What's new

Recycled Razor Rack

After spending weeks looking for an attractive, well made razor rack that wouldn't break the bank and wouldn't scratch my razors like some toothbrush holders could (and failing in the attempt), I decided to make my own. Rather than going out & buying materials to do it, I decided to make one for the low, low price of $0.00. I just happened to have an old paper towel holder that had seen better days. It was just collecting dust in the closet and that's when the light bulb went on. I figured, "Hey! I can make something out of this". A few hours, and a lot of sanding, cutting, and a little trial & error later... Ta-Da!

proxy.php

I've now got myself a good, sturdy rack that I'd have gladly paid money for - for free! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow, thanks. I'm buying a paper-towel holder or two tomorrow. Gonna make a two-tier razor/brush rack. I'll get back to you guys.

Very nice. I've also seen a few examples of old pipe racks that had been converted to holder for multiple razors. I have a rack that holds four razors with a brush and another that holds a single razor/ brush. Unfortunately, that leaves a half dozen razors and a pair of brushes hiding inside the bathroom cabinet.

that really looks nice........I will have to keep an eye out for one of those at the flea market one of these weekends!.......are you going to stain it or finish it in some manner?..... or is it good as is?

that really looks nice........I will have to keep an eye out for one of those at the flea market one of these weekends!.......are you going to stain it or finish it in some manner?..... or is it good as is?

I actually rather like it the way it is. With the way I have the holes drilled out, I actually have room to drill one more hole in the center rear if I need to accommodate another razor. If I were to stain it, drilling it out later would just ruin the finish.

I actually rather like it the way it is. With the way I have the holes drilled out, I actually have room to drill one more hole in the center rear if I need to accommodate another razor. If I were to stain it, drilling it out later would just ruin the finish.

I've got a trick that might help you there. I run across this all the time in my line of work repairing guitars. I regularly have to drill holes into a finished instrument for a variety of reasons without chipping the lacquer. To do this you can at slow speed run the drill bit in reverse where you intend to drill your hole. This will dish out the area and scrape away the finish without chipping it. Once you've got a little dish started run the drill in the normal forward direction at normal speed to drill your hole. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I would advise practicing this once or twice on some scrap material just so you get a feel for it but this works great.

I've got some beautiful rounds of Rhododendron drying in the Church, this has inspired me to mill some up and make a rack.

forget the stand, let's see a close-up of that excellent razor bank, worthy of rocky I.

v.

Good eye. I took a similar approach regarding my blade bank when I needed one. Rather than buying one, I simply re-purposed what I already had around the house. My wife bought this at a junk shop, I believe many years ago & it's been sitting on a shelf with a few pennies in it ever since. It now sits on my bathroom counter & gets much more use now than ever. I particularly love the patina on the cap.

proxy.php

Well done. Now you need to make a dozen more for the rest of the rotation.

After 3 rounds of selling on the BST forums, that is the rest of the rotation. :001_tongu

Then again, I still have my Col. Conk stand next to it which is currently holding my (now one & only) brush and my razor that Bob made me.

Last edited:
I just use a glass pimento pepper jar and toss it when full. Like they stand and gets the mind working on ideals thanks for posting it.

A funny thing happened this morning when my wife was getting ready for work. When she saw the rack, she asked me "Just how much did you spend this time?". :lol:

The rack looks great! I also have to say that I am a HUGE fan of your blade bank. For some reason an old mason jar never even crossed my mind before.

Top Bottom