What's new

One Fountain Pen to rule them all - what would yours be?

I got a challenge for you FP fans out there, with conditions:

If you could buy one FP, without consideration to price, what would it be?

The conditions:

- No price limit

- It can't be expensive just because of the materials used (eg - diamond encrusted ballpoint is still a ballpoint)

- It needs to be of the highest quality in workmanship, quality, etc - a pen built to last for ages

- It needs to justify it's price via its writing - like before, it can't just be expensive because of who makes it or the materieals - it actually has to write fantastically and offer the best writing

- No cartridges

- No finnicky pens, etc - it has to be a true FP, something you can refill with almost any ink (eg - Noodlers). That is, it can't be so special that it requires it's own special brand of ink, it needs to be able to use almost any ink

- FINAL CONDITION/MOST IMPORTANT CONDITION - it needs to be commercially produced, and thus be available for purchase. I'm willing to let you post an FP that's not produced anymore, so long as you also post what pen that IS still produced alongside your "once-upon-a-time" pen

You get where I'm going with the conditions, so I'll ask - what would your "one pen to rule them all" be?

Last edited:
Edison Pearl, perhaps extended, definitely clip-less. Bulb filler. Short ink window. Brown Tortoise. Nice medium/fine stub (get this: steel).

Probably the Pelikan Souveran M1000 .... Or maybe the Conway-Stewart Churchill lever fill ..... Size matters.

Damn this is hard. But I think the Pelikan would win.

OMyMyOHellYes

I haven't found anything better for my hands than a Pelikan M800 yet. I can't say I've used an extremely extensive amount of pens, but it works great and seems built to last a lifetime.

Just thought we would post the real deal

$HPIM0845.jpg$HPIM0847.jpg

Nice pics guys!
Three weeks ago, I would answered this question with a Pelikan M1000. But after ordering an M805 after reading about sizes I am happy with the decision I made!
But now, I have been drooling over a couple of Edison's! The Pearl, the Herald Grande and the Morgan. I want to start with those three, Bulb fillers with the longer ink window. Silver clips and nibs... Now only if I had $1100 burning a hole in my pocket.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I need to resurrect this thread. It'll take me a bit of consideration before I'll be able to post what mine is. But, I'm curious to hear what the rest of you think.

Good one to resurrect!

Mine would be a Nakaya Neo-Standard in Kuro-tamenuri (Fine nib). That's the only pen I sometimes still dream of since getting my Conid.

Not my images:

proxy.php

proxy.php

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suppose I should post one of the special editions, but this is still my favorite pen: Ruby Red Pelikan M600

proxy.php
My hand is apparently too small for the M800 and M1000. I would suggest a medium nib turned into a stub by Pendleton Brown.

Beautiful pen, Keith. Good things come in small(er) packages! I have a colleague who is a Pelikan fanatic. They are fantastic writers and some, like yours, are quite simply drop dead gorgeous.

Top Bottom