What's new

straight razors and strops on a yacht in salt water

seeing as i go out and stay on dads yacht i was wondering what precautions should i take to protect my straight and strop. ?

i usualy just take a safety razor and ivory soap and shave brush what would i need to keep my brush safe too ?

any help would be great

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
seeing as i go out and stay on dads yacht i was wondering what precautions should i take to protect my straight and strop. ?

i usualy just take a safety razor and ivory soap and shave brush what would i need to keep my brush safe too ?

any help would be great

Don't shave with salt water<G> Seriously, if it were me, after rinsing with distilled water, I would coat the straight with a layer of oil of your choice. I will let someone else chime in on the strop.

Don't shave with salt water<G> Seriously, if it were me, after rinsing with distilled water, I would coat the straight with a layer of oil of your choice. I will let someone else chime in on the strop.

+1. Saltwater will help corrosion go nuts. Better to be safe than sorry.

i wasnt intending do you think that im a moron. i mean in case the razor or gear gets wet. imagin what the salt would do for my face nice dry skin

What are the odds... I was going to ask the same question!
Although the yacht is more of a 12' John boat with a beach umbrella bolted to the seat. LOL

Are you SURE you want to put such a sharp object to your face while on a rocking boat? Seems to me that's asking for trouble. I'd stay with a safety razor. As for brush and soap - here's what I travel with - La Toja shave stick and a 22mm brush that I keep in a zippered sun-glasses case - works like a charm!

proxy.php

proxy.php

The salt water is actually the best thing for your skin.

Ever notice how much clearer your skin is after you've been in the ocean a few days?

When I was in Greece this past summer after every shave I washed my face with salt water it stung a bit when I cut myself but gave me great skin. I made sure my razor was well oiled and my strop didn't get any water on it. My bag did eventually fall off the boat but a rinse with clean water and a bath in oil saved both from any rust or drying out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
i wasnt intending do you think that im a moron. i mean in case the razor or gear gets wet. imagin what the salt would do for my face nice dry skin

Sorry, I was joking- the <G> usually translates on the internet as grinning. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This might be me but shaving on a boat that isn't stable with a straight razor doesn't sound like a good idea...

"dads yacht" might be big enough that the boat rocking that many of us are used to won't be an issue. OP can confirm of course.

When I am out at sea, I use an electric, as do most of the people I ship with. Nothing like trying to shave with a straight or even an SE or DE in rough weather. Seriously though, you can shave with salt water. Make sure your strop does not get wet, thoroughly rinse your straight in fresh water and keep it oiled and you should be fine.

Top Bottom