What's new

End of a shameful era

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1000.

But I believe the last thread on gay rights we had here got ugly real fast. Let's hope this one stays on track.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to agree- they have been there all along, serving their country admirably (along with everyone else in the military). Hope this thread doesn't spin out of control on you.

+1 The following stood out:

"... the United States was the only industrialized country that forbade LGBT individuals from serving openly in the military."

While I am very proud to be an American, I humbly recognize the kernel of truth in Churchill's wry observation:

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Last edited:
Obviously none of you have never served in the military.
Aside from the double negative, what's your point? Is our opinion any different from the hundreds and thousands of current and former military people who knew they served with gays and lesbians and didn't care?

Come off it. This country has suffered enough because of discrimination. It's 2011, not 1952.

godbless anybody who wants to serve despite there sexual preference.
freedom of choice is one of many reasons that makes this country great. to try and take that away from somebody for how they choose to live there life goes against what this country stands for if you accept what they do or not.

This is nothing but good news. It's sad that there are people out there who feel so strongly against it. Why should it matter whether someone is interested in the same sex or the opposite sex? If you do your job and do it well, that's all that should ever matter.

I will dissent and say this is not good news. I know I will be called names, accused of bigotry, etc., but remember, the left once said it was okay to have an opposing view, and that it is not wrong to disagree.

i liked the idea of dont ask, dont tell. so anyone can join the military and what should remain private stays private. nuff said.
now,,,, service men and women will be able to "flaunt" the sexuality. i disagree. i think it should be a private thing.

I will dissent and say this is not good news. I know I will be called names, accused of bigotry, etc., but remember, the left once said it was okay to have an opposing view, and that it is not wrong to disagree.
You have the right to disagree, but this isn't (and shouldn't be) about politics. This is about basic equality. This is about ending an illogical form of discrimination that serves no purpose.

i liked the idea of dont ask, dont tell. so anyone can join the military and what should remain private stays private. nuff said.
now,,,, service men and women will be able to "flaunt" the sexuality. i disagree. i think it should be a private thing.
That is only half the story. Funny how you put flaunt in quotes, because (of course) all openly gay soldiers are now going to accessorize their uniforms "Brüno" style. Of course.:rolleyes5

But my sarcasm aside, what's MOST important about this is that these soldiers now cannot be discharged on the basis of who they choose to love. Don't forget that.

You have the right to disagree, but this isn't (and shouldn't be) about politics. This is about basic equality. This is about ending an illogical form of discrimination that serves no purpose.
You have your opinion, and I have mine.

It's long overdue. I'm glad the military does not have to get rid of qualified personnel anymore for no reason.

Well, I'd say that saying there is a right to disagree, and then saying that the subject of discussion is beyond disagreement, is disingenuous.

My opinion is, since it's in place, is that if it works out, great. If it impacts effectiveness, repeal it. I'm open minded enough to accept that either may be possible, and leave the religious/moral/political aspects for another time and place.

Why do we benefit from this?

The only thing I can possibly see coming from this is that they use this as a form of discrimination. As before, since it was TABOO, no one ever knew. Therefore you could not discriminate. Now I expect to hear this.....
"I was not promoted because I am gay"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom