What's new

Not sure if broken?

I have a post in the General Discussion but decided to move here since I found this sub thread..

I have this razor and i cant tell if it is broken or if it's from the design. Can someone help me out?

proxy.php

http://i53.tinypic.com/52kso5.jpg

Looks more like the silo door isnt positioned correctly..might need to send out to be repaired...if no one here in the states can fix it..assuming you live in the states..Neil Miller lives in the UK and can fix ANY razor.

I see, I mean I don't even know if the blade is even worth fixing... I'm not sure what model it is or anything so don't even know the price.

I see, I mean I don't even know if the blade is even worth fixing... I'm not sure what model it is or anything so don't even know the price.

The razor is a 1950/60s Flare Tip SuperSpeed like Mark said in your other thread. I don't even have a good price range of these as I haven't been taking note of their price when they sell. You can look through old For Sale (FS) threads on the Buy/Sell/Trade (BST) forum and get an idea of how much they sell for. Why not try to fix it yourself?

Left to right I say what you have is:

1940s Style SuperSpeed
Ball end Tech or clone
1950/60s Flare Tip SuperSpeed
Don't know
British Slim Twist
Don't know
SE
Schick Krona

The first one looks in the pic a little like the guard bar is twisted - which would be a problem. Another face on pic will help.

Certainly the two SuperSpeeds and Krona have lots of fans for a great shave!

I would want to fix it my self, which I also prefer, but I have no basis on even where to start.

It was slanted to one side, but I think I just fixed it, i pushed really hard from one side and it straightened up.

I had two razors like this. If it is still slanted, then it probably isn't the silo doors that are crooked. In both my cases, the bar under the silo doors is what was actually crooked. This seems to have happened frequently when a user dropped a razor. All I did was bend the bar back up closer to the silo doors until it was even with the other side. I used the little side notches of metal underneath the bar to see if it was level or not. In your picture, the bar is obviously too close to the underneath notch on the right side of the razor.

What I do is stick flat head screw driver in the slot, VERY GENTLY twist it til you see the bar get even, I had a toggle with same problem, It worked for me. You may want to try this at your risk, these razors are not that expensive, unless it has sentimental value.

A typical SS of this vintage is $20-30 depending on condition, etc.

If you look at the end caps, sometimes they'll be crooked and and can be bent back level. Plyers with cloth or soemthing to protect the finish will work.

Whatever repair method you need/use, you do have to be very gentle. Brass won't take too much of a bend or too fast. Just nudge it and gradually build up pressure.

Last edited:
It was slanted to one side, but I think I just fixed it, i pushed really hard from one side and it straightened up.

You think? Did you see any difference? what do you mean you think? Is it fixed? For crying out loud please tell us!...You guys think I'm being over dramatic?:001_tt2::001_tt2:

Attachments

• $oscars-go-to2.jpg
    $oscars-go-to2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 182
So, I just got back from class and I left the razor in a cup of warm water and vinegar (trying to clean off residue and what not) and it bent a little again... so time to try to use the push method! lol

They're easy to straighten out, as long as you've nailed down the problem. There are 3 main places they get bent. The bar guards, the center bar, and those hinge arm thingies. Unbend the one that's bent, or you've just added another layer of mess.

What I do is stick flat head screw driver in the slot, VERY GENTLY twist it til you see the bar get even, I had a toggle with same problem, It worked for me. You may want to try this at your risk, these razors are not that expensive, unless it has sentimental value.

Which Slot did you stick a screw Driver in? can you post a picture up Alex? I would appreciate it, i have a Toggle that has that slant problem and i would like to make it my user grade Toggle :eek:) Thanks.

Shant,

If you can post pics of the end caps, that would help to figure out what's bent. Perhaps each end with the doors open and closed?

Which Slot did you stick a screw Driver in? can you post a picture up Alex? I would appreciate it, i have a Toggle that has that slant problem and i would like to make it my user grade Toggle :eek:) Thanks.

Vargas, I'm not home now, I'm at my girlfreind's house and dont have tools or razors. I am going to use her EJ razor and a slot/flt head screw driver bit to show you, You can do this to any DE razor with a crooked bar....insert the flat end in the crooked part of the DE razor part, and gently twist it til you see the bar area get even with the head, it may take few tries. I have experience by practicing with junk razors til i mastered it, but if your careful you can do it too, be gentle.

Attachments

• $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 101
  • $ggggg.jpg
    $ggggg.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 103
  • $kkkkk.jpg
    $kkkkk.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 101
  • $nnnnnn.jpg
    $nnnnnn.jpg