What's new

And old Coat for the Modern Age?

I found one of these in my size at a local pseudo-milsurp store: http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=156

When combined with a synthetic fleece under-coat, this jacket makes me impervious to the windy -40C weather that I must endure while waiting for buses. It's all wool and weighs a ton... but not a single wisp of wind gets through the chest, especially with that double-breasted closure. The weight of the wool also makes it flap less in the wind, keeping your legs warmer.

Anyways, combine it with a dark coloured scarf, leather gloves (with liners!), and a real hat (not a toque) and you'll probably be better dressed than your boss -- I know I am.

Lastly, I find it hard to argue with the price - I've spent more money on fancy ski jackets and ski pants than I did on this practical and dressy coat.

I....I don't know what to say. That may be EXACTLY what I've been looking for all this time. How thick is the wool, would you say?

Check out http://www.thefedoralounge.com. and look at the B/S/T. You may find exactly what you are looking for.

Sweet mercy. I did not need to learn of this place. My wife probably already thinks I'm going batty after converting to straight razors and writing with a fountain pen. I haven't even dared mention yet that I'm interested in a vintage pocket watch, and NOW you've got to go and tell me there's a site where I can get nice vintage HATS as well?

Sweet mercy. I did not need to learn of this place. My wife probably already thinks I'm going batty after converting to straight razors and writing with a fountain pen. I haven't even dared mention yet that I'm interested in a vintage pocket watch, and NOW you've got to go and tell me there's a site where I can get nice vintage HATS as well?
What manner of watch do you want? I've got some experience in this regard. As well as with pens.

Then again, I'm an English Major who programs for a living.

What manner of watch do you want? I've got some experience in this regard. As well as with pens.

I've been looking at some Hamilton 992B's. I want a railroad watch of some sort because they keep quality time a well as for the history. I'm open to other brands such as Waltham or Illinois so long as they're quality. Been leaning towards a stainless as being more durable to daily wear.

I've been looking at some Hamilton 992B's. I want a railroad watch of some sort because they keep quality time a well as for the history. I'm open to other brands such as Waltham or Illinois so long as they're quality. Been leaning towards a stainless as being more durable to daily wear.
So only american movements?

Thing is, I'm not familiar with that many brands of the time yet so I don't think I know any European movements.

The main issue I have right now is knowing where to get a watch in good condition (ie - already been serviced recently) from a reputable seller at a reasonable price. The watches are already kind of expensive, and if you've got to add a ~$150 servicing right off the bat it's just really getting too much I think.

Wouldn't a non-American watch be a non-Railroad watch as well?

Not really. Railroads can be found all over the world after all. Heck, if you wanted a good starting place I would pick up a Soviet era Molnija or late twenties Walham. For example, this wouldn't be too bad. German Quicksilver hunter with a 3602 movement, which was a mod of an old Swiss model know for its reliability. I've got the same movement and pick up at most 30 seconds a day.

Note: My watch does need a good oil and service, as she need winding a little more often than I like.

I'll try to remember to measure it when I get home.

It's pretty thick, though - The shoulder and chest area tend to hold their shape fairly well even if you lay it down on a bed or table. I suspect I could change that by deliberately breaking it in somewhat, but I like it the way it is.

I checked on my coat with some calipers (not something I ever imagined using them for!) -- a single layer of the wool is about 2.4mm thick. That's a bit thicker than 3/32" according to my calculator. Chest area has a slightly shiny liner - synthetic of some sort. Underneath the liner is some padding - feels like cotton batting in the rear, coarse woven cloth in the front. I guess there is less padding in the front since it's double breasted.

If I'm reading the tag right (it's all in cyrillic) my coat is a size 52-3. I'm not sure that makes sense since I think my normal chest size for jackets is around 44... but maybe the russians did things differently?

I checked on my coat with some calipers (not something I ever imagined using them for!) -- a single layer of the wool is about 2.4mm thick. That's a bit thicker than 3/32" according to my calculator. Chest area has a slightly shiny liner - synthetic of some sort. Underneath the liner is some padding - feels like cotton batting in the rear, coarse woven cloth in the front. I guess there is less padding in the front since it's double breasted.

If I'm reading the tag right (it's all in cyrillic) my coat is a size 52-3. I'm not sure that makes sense since I think my normal chest size for jackets is around 44... but maybe the russians did things differently?

Can you upload a high res image of the tag? I have some software that will translate it for us.

I'm an oddball too @ 6'3" 235lbs 55 inch chest 35 inch waist 21 inch neck, no problems ever finding a good fitting jacket from a Farm and ranch supply store.

I've liked Spiewak for years. Good vintage styles in modern fabrics as well as some updated classics. Also a fair bit of garbage. Unfortunately, the website doesn't tell you which retailers carry which styles so it's never been worth the trouble to track down the ones I'm interested in.

I've just registered with the fedora lounge. But don't worry, we can still see each other. :)
God, that random question was....random. I had to open a tab and google it!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like the L.L. Bean field coats, and also the traditional navy blue red lined pea jackets. For work when I'm wearing a suit, a lined rain coat works fine.

Check both Filson and Carhartt. Both have stuff that would work and not necessarily of the bush-crashing persuasion, some is more dressy.

Top Bottom