What's new

Using an ultrasonic cleaner

Hi all,
I received an ultrasonic cleaner yesterday that I ordered from Amazon. I used a couple of drops of dish soap in the water and dropped in my EJ 89L that had a fair amount of soap scum on it (hard water + C.O. Bigelow). The cycle only lasts 3 minutes, so I looked at it after that and noticed that it did seem to take off some of the scum, but by no means cleaned it like scrubbing bubbles does. I ran it through 2 more cycles and while it didn't clean everything off, it did clean some, and made it easier to just wipe of the rest with a towel.

To those that have used ultrasonic cleaners, are my expectations too high in thinking that it should've cleaned everything off? Do you recommend ultrasonic cleaner solutions?

Sax.

What size Ultrasonic Cleaner did you get? I use a 50W Untrasonic cleaner with very good results. I have heard that the common 25w version is not powerful enough.

Ultrasonic cleaners work by sending sound waves through the liquid. At certain points, cavitations form (essentially bubbles of vacuum.) When these bubbles collapse they send out shock waves that blows crud up.

The problem is that the cavitations don't happen everywhere, it mainly happens where reflected waves intersect and superimpose. You tend to get standing waves - fixed patterns where certain static points get loads of cavitations, but other points get none. So the cleaning is patchy (on a microscopic level.) If you leave an object in the same position and repeat the cycle it may not clean much more off.

Some cleaners get around the problem by varying the frequency of the ultrasound. This changes the pattern of the standing waves and cleans a wider area. If you don't have one of these fancy cleaners, then move the item you're cleaning around regularly. (Avoid sticking your fingers under the water, use a tool instead, e.g. toothbrush handle. Strong ultrasonic cleaners can damage your bones.)

I treat the ultrasonic cleaner as a dirt softener. Run a cycle, use a toothbrush to remove loosened crud, repeat as necessary.
I always use Simple Green in mine. It's amazing how shiny things come out.

The key to using an ultrasonic cleaner is to preheat the cleaning solution,cold water and soap will not cut it.
And never/ever put jewelry with set stones in one.

Harbor Freight makes a few models which can be affordable with their coupons. I just hate to buy one as I am getting overwhelmed with shave goods and razors as it is. I started doing to save money yet I am with more gear now then I ever had in the cartridge days.

hmmm this is interesting. i had ever thought about getting one of these t help me clean my antique store razors i buy that always need a good cleaning. how big r they the good 50w that bull goose mentioned? what about the harbor freight ones? does it also take off the painted numbers? i would think so but idk

Thanks for the replies, fellas. The one I got off Amazon is 35w. I'll try moving it around a little more next time I get some build up. Not sure if I'm going to keep this, yet. I think it was around $30.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ultrasonic cleaners will take off scum, deposits, and paint in the numbers on adjustables...as was found out the hard way : )

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've used my US cleaner on razors and have decided its usually not worth the risk, having lost painted numbers and delicate plating. Troublesome cleaning problems such as solidified gunk that jams adjustable mechanisms is best dealt with by repeated hot soapy water soaks.

The area of crap that you're trying to clean must be equal to or greater in size than half of the wavelength of the frequency the device is emitting. With razors it's likely to be a very small area, so the cleaner will need to produce extremely high frequencies - the downside is that the higher the frequency, the lower the acoustic energy so it may be the case that your cleaner's not powerful enough

I treat the ultrasonic cleaner as a dirt softener. Run a cycle, use a toothbrush to remove loosened crud, repeat as necessary.
I always use Simple Green in mine. It's amazing how shiny things come out.

I do the same thing. I run it for two cycles and then use a very soft tooth brush. This has always worked out for me.

Top Bottom