Thread: Mitchell Wool Fat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mitchell Wool Fat

Question regarding MWF. I just started my second puck of MWF and I am have the same problems of getting it to lather that I had with to start, was able to use successfully and enjoy it. Does anyone think that it may have a skin of finish on a new puck that needs to be work a way to get it to perform at its best? I found this to be the case with Williams.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Images

As you may have read, many folks let water soak in it for 5-10 minutes before shaving, just to hydrate the soap.

But, more relevant, what worked best for your first puck of MWF?
    My shaving pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am doing what I did with the first puck. However it wasn’t until I moved it from an open mug to an old TOBS tub and it sat there for a day or two that it really started to work. Come to think of it could be the micro-environment idea as to why MWF put the soap in a cover dish.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Images

The fat likes constant use to get all hydrated for you. The more you use the puck, the better it gets. I generally dribble-feed mine a spoon of water nightly for about a week or so before I am ready to use it in rotation.
    Me likey soaps ~Sam (subpar honer extraordinaire!) ... 3017ing Monsavon
    Have a question? PM a Mod ................................ Be sure to check out the B&B Video Library

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I find The Fat likes consistent use to perform best. Like Sam said.
    Tony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Where is the best place to order MWF?
    New Orleans, "Land of pralines, red beans, creole queens & pinball machines"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I cover mine with water for 24 hrs and let it swell up to fit the bowl. Lathers like a croap after that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Images

I just put some water in the mug while I'm filling the sink. I'm using the big Stirling synthetic brush which I put in the sink to warm it up and shake most of the water out. I load up the brush in the mug for a minute or maybe less then lather in a small pewter cup. I add water a bit at a time to make sure the lather is hydrated. It looks shiny when it is. Too dry doesn't work as well. I always end up with too much lather but it works great. I've been using it most days so maybe it doesn't completely dry out.
    Mike —Virginia Gentleman— The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockviper View Post
    The fat likes constant use to get all hydrated for you. The more you use the puck, the better it gets. I generally dribble-feed mine a spoon of water nightly for about a week or so before I am ready to use it in rotation.
    This is what I did as well. I keep mine in the MWF dish and once it swells up it performs a lot better for me.
    ~Canadian Club~

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

This is it. The Fat is a jealous soap. It craves your attention.

B.O.T.O.C. / Keep Calm and Shave On

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MWF needs LOTS of water. I use a TOBS like spedbp and after getting it wet the first two timed, it doesn't require anything special for prep. I've only used it for a month, but I suspect that consistent and constant use keeps it in a state of constant readiness. I imagine that if you leave it out of your rotation for awhle (how long? don't know), you would need to treat it like a new puck and get it wet again.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarimento1 View Post
    As you may have read, many folks let water soak in it for 5-10 minutes before shaving, just to hydrate the soap.

But, more relevant, what worked best for your first puck of MWF?
    I agree with the puck soaking. I've done that with MWF and it works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have used up two mwf pucks... So far it's the only soap I rebought. 2016 I have decided to use what I have and stop buying soap

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This. Just keep using it.
    Order of the Fat. One Year, One Brand for 2016 --- Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What works for me is before I start using it, I pour about 1 tablespoon worth of warm water onto the puck and let it sit while I shower. Then when I'm ready to use, I pour the liquid that was on the puck into my lathering bowl. I start using my somewhat dry brush to load, and once loaded, move over to the bowl to start lathering. I noticed that if I used the water that was used to help bloom the puck, I'd always get a nice consistent lather: thick, slick, and loads of of for at least 3 passes. MWF is definitely great stuff.