What's new

Occupational Shaving Mug usage questions.

Well I found what I thought was a good deal on one of these old Occupational Mugs (some are in the hundreds of dollars and not for me) and it arrived today.

I was very pleased with the size (bigger than expected) and condition.
proxy.php

I realized I don't know exactly how these were traditionally used. It seems the perfect shape to put a puck of soap in. But, do you build a lather in it with the puck still in there?

I think barbershops used to keep your mug with your name and profession in the shop to shave you with. Did you have your own razor and brush and soap?

Any input appreciated.

That one is very pretty. I picked up a few last spring, two for pharmacist (me) and I managed to get one for a lawyer, my son. So far all either of us has done is stored razors in them.

You realize (cough, cough - throat clearing...) who REALLY ought to have that mug, eh? :clap:

And NO it isn't Captain K!!!!!!!! :gun_bandana:

(All in good fun folks, nice mug and congrats!)

Last edited:
Back to the question -

I always face lather soaps, so I use it just for loading the brush. I have also built lathers in the mug, on top of the puck. You'll go through soap faster that way.

I see that it has the gold trim. My experience with that is that gold can wear off with handling, especially on the rim. I've done drinking out cups and glassware that had the gold trim.

You realize (cough, cough - throat clearing...) who REALLY ought to have that mug, eh? :clap:

And NO it isn't Captain K!!!!!!!! :gun_bandana:

(All in good fun folks, nice mug and congrats!)

BUT I HAVEN'T EVEN USED IT YET!

I hope someone comes along and clears up my puck in the bottom conundrum.

those old porcelain mugs are great.
i'd love to find one but I think I would worry too much about breaking it.

Well it wasn't that much like some of them. I got lucky. I just wish someone would tell me how to use it.

strop

Now half as wise
I used one for years with Col. Conk soap and Williams soap, before I knew B&B existed. I stored the puck and lathered in it. It's the only way to lather Williams(the modern stuff) and actually makes it usable. May use it up a little faster, but they still lasted months for me.

Ok good. Thanks. Now I just need to pick a soap for this mug.
Maybe Fiji Mermaid.

Who wants to chime in with a nautical suggestion?

So don't leave the puck in to build lather in the bowl?

That is a pretty good way to go, unless its a puck you don't mind using a lot of. You will tend to use more product if you lather directly on top of the puck. Enjoy the awesome mug! *I would use Williams to lather in the mug, as its cheap and plentiful*

Top Bottom