What's new

Oldest Single Ring known

Not cheap either.

Following the CPI, that $5 in 1913 would buy a $114 razor today.
The CPI calculator doesn't go back to 1905.

We need to keep in mind that Gillette was not keeping records for us in the 21st century but to simply account for product made in the early 20th century to produce sales nothing more. We should use the reference materials as a guide, but realize that there will be some "holes" in the accounts.
QUOTE]

Very true. However, this type of exercise is how the holes get filled. That's part of why I became a contributor. Between the threads and the wiki, this board is a place that can provide good information for the collector. By supporting it (in money or information), we all help build the resource. I don't want to see information lost as happened with SafetyRazors.net.

We need to keep in mind that Gillette was not keeping records for us in the 21st century but to simply account for product made in the early 20th century to produce sales nothing more. We should use the reference materials as a guide, but realize that there will be some "holes" in the accounts.
QUOTE]

Very true. However, this type of exercise is how the holes get filled. That's part of why I became a contributor. Between the threads and the wiki, this board is a place that can provide good information for the collector. By supporting it (in money or information), we all help build the resource. I don't want to see information lost as happened with SafetyRazors.net.

Well the "holes" may be filled, but many times with hypothesis, not with hard data. Now if journals could be found from the Gillette factories to enhance or verify the data, then that would fill many of the "holes" with a much more solid basis. What I was bringing up was the Gillette had record keeping for their own business purposes and were not considering collectors of today's time into that equation.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

+1 :thumbup1:

I haven't compared them that closely before, but look at the bottom of the page (on the SRN and renaldo sites). They're the ones giving him the credit. I do see that renaldo has moved the single rings to 1905, but SRN had them in 1906 (I have a PDF of the old site).

On a side note, I wonder if renaldo had permission to copy the SRN pages? It's just a direct lift, with a few minor edits as noted.

On the more pertinent point, Krumholz doesn't mention where he gets the information as to the introduction date of the single ring. He could be looking at advertising and packaging art dates, and we're dealing with a mistake in the mapping of serial numbers to production numbers, since they weren't actually tracked at this point. There are exactly 400,000 serial numbers listed in 1906. Sounds like an estimate (of the sales figures) to me.

Lots of good points. I imagine since the SRN site is dead, the renaldo site "rescued" it or preserved it so it'd be around for people to use and since SRN is dead, obtaining permission wasn't possible? I also notice he did the same for the SRN Schick pages. The sales projection idea seems plausible. I just think we've seen too many live examples of 1905 single rings not to accept 1905 as the official start of them.

Great inputs on my favorite topic. thanks everyone. Here's another early single ring with what could be a 1905 date code. Thanks to banjophd for putting it up for auction, and congratulations to whoever outbid me for this one !

proxy.php

Well, I've contacted Phillip Krumholz regarding this issue, and here is what he had to say....

I obtained the serial numbers years ago directly from the Gillette
company historian. This position has not been filled for several
years since my contact retired.

While I have not personally observed a single ring with an early
date, and cannot verify its authenticity, I will state that it is
possible that they exist in limited form. Gillette typically test
marketed new products a year or two prior to introduction, so these
razors may have been part of the test market. Gillette has always
been very concerned about public acceptance of new products or
designs.

It seems we may have too many spotted for this to be the sole solution. However, there are many possibilities that would account for it....

1 - Test marketing as stated by Mr Krumholz.
2 - Factory repairs of double ring handles with single ring.
3 - User repairs of a similar vein.
4 - Other "aftermarket" replacements.
5 - Some variation between the serial numbers and actual dates.

By the time you put all these together, you could have many examples floating around. The only way I can see to nail this down would be to find dated advertisements or product literature showing single and double ring razors.

Another possibility would be Gillette using up old inner barrels. We've seen stuff like that before. Dual date coded super adjustables during the transition from metal to plastic adjustment plates. The goodwill. For all we know the caps, barrels, knobs, and head/neck pieces could all be produced at vastly different times.

Another possibility would be Gillette using up old inner barrels. We've seen stuff like that before. Dual date coded super adjustables during the transition from metal to plastic adjustment plates. The goodwill. For all we know the caps, barrels, knobs, and head/neck pieces could all be produced at vastly different times.

Extremely possible. Especially since the serial number dates in this period are an approximation anyway, and the single ring was "quietly" introduced.

Just for grins, I did a quick "internet inventory" of 1905 and 1906 Gillette ads. I found about a dozen of each. While I haven't verified any of these ads, here's what I found...

All the 1905 ads showed double rings.
Some of the 1906 ads showed single rings. They were split about 50/50 with double rings.

More interesting bits of information, thank you Mr. Krumholz ! I like the test marketing theory.

In the meantime, here is one more to add to the list in a pristine condition case. Serial number 308091. I bid double what i bid last week and still got out-sniped.... :angry:

proxy.php

I just received this Single Ring with serial # 290,609. (I acquired the case separately, so it's not an exception to the New York case theory above.)

Attachments

• $P1040556a.jpg
    $P1040556a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 284
  • $P1040556.jpg
    $P1040556.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 284
Just as a single point of reference, I started doing a little research into ads in Google Books scanned titles myself. The Spatula, "an illustrated magazine for pharmacists," goes from a Double Ring in their March and April 1906 issues (first image below) to a Single Ring in their May, June, July, and August 1906 issues (second image).

Click either to see them in context. I'll do a little more poking around to see what other periodicals show. I find some awesome reading this way... The Spatula had particularly fantastic articles on the effects of color on the human nervous system and prescribing for dogs that I've bookmarked for future reading. :001_smile

Great research ! It wouldn't be too far-fetched to believe that they started making single rings well before they advertised and sold them since "it moves quickly from stock." If you read the books about the early years, their advertising was very effective in creating demand. It would make sense that they started producing and stockpiling the single ring for several months before the first ads ran. The serial numbers, after all, tell you the sequence of manufacturing, not the date they were sold.

Hate to revive this thread, but I think its easier to go about this by adding to this one, rather than starting a new one.

Anyway, I just acquired a single ring with the serial number 28(could be 9?)0868. Hopefully, I can make out the 8 or 9 after cleaning. This looks like a double ring case though, no? BTW, the barrel was pretty much molded in place to the handle, took a lot of pressure to get it to turn. Whoever had this one hasn't done anything with it for a very long time.

Attachments

• $IMG_0569.jpg
    $IMG_0569.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 250
  • $IMG_0570.jpg
    $IMG_0570.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 249
  • $IMG_0571.jpg
    $IMG_0571.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 244
Top Bottom