What's new

Gift idea for members of the Groom's wedding party...?

Hi, everyone... Thought maybe you gents could advise...

My brother will be getting married this January in Albany, NY (under 3 feet of snow, no doubt). He asked me to be the Best Man, which is an honor, and well, stressful... :001_smile

Neither of us have even attended a wedding, but it is my understandng that it is traditional for the members of the groom's wedding party to receive a gift.

Any gents here have an idea of what would be appropriate, and the price range?
(100 guests, 4 groomsmen)

Now, before you scream out "Merkur 38C HD with a Semogue brush and Trumper's Rose!", be aware I already converted all these gents to wet shaving long ago. So razors, brushes, etc, may not be the best option...

A watch, perhaps?
Anyone know a quality discount retailer on-line?

Also... any advice from hubbies or best men in general, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always thought it was traditional for members of the groom's party ... including the Best Man ... to receive presents from the Groom. :wink2:

However, you may be asking on his behalf, or taking a different tradition.

For price range, I guess it depends on where you guys sit on the socio-economic ladder. I mean, if Donald Trump asked me to be his best man (it could happen ... :001_tt2:) maybe he'd drop five grand on each of us ... but if my unemployed uncle asked the same questionheck, a nice thank-you note and a framed photo of us on the big day would be over and above the call of duty. So ... fifty bucks? A hundred? Two hundred? "It Depends".

So ... I dunno about a watch. It'd be worried, unless I had a big budget that I'd be getting a 'cheap-o' watch that wouldn't match the situation. (If I had $8,000 to spend on each, a watch would be fantastic, but buying each of them a car, not so much.)

What about a nice ... as in hand-made ... tie? Sam Hober http://www.samhober.com/ can do some really nice stuff, or go to Drake's http://www.drakes-london.com/ or somewhere similar. Get them all the same tie ... so they can wear it on "the day" ... and then whenever they wear it again, they are reminded of the wedding.

Ditto cufflinks. Something to wear that day, and as a useable remembrance.

oh, i do mean gifts FROM the groom...
i know it may be odd for me as the Best Man to be asking,
but my brother is going to need some advice...

trust me, it may be better if i do the research on this one...
he's stressing quite a bit :)

a nice flask (filled with damn good booze) a nice sampler of cigars? or you could go with cigars and a Corona Old Boy
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

have you converted them to Fountain Pens?

What about a quality pocket knife?

Here's a few photos to give you an idea of a nice gentleman's traditional slipjoint pocket knife. The first three are made by Great Eastern Cutlery, the last one is made by Schatt & Morgan. There are a million different manufacturers with all different types of knives available for many price points.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've been in my share of wedding parties and have received cufflinks, an engraved money clip, cigars, lastly and my favorite, i was given a bottle of Lagavulin recently for a close friend's wedding. I promised him I'd save the bottle until I finally get chained down and we can "celebrate".

Weddings should be fun leave the stress at the door.

Of the three weddings I have been in, one as best man, I have received three pocket knives. I only use one, as the other two are identical flat and engraved with my name on them. The usable one is a small gerber, which is great for opening packages and the like. I can say, that when I marry, pocket knives will be so far off the list of gifts it would make your head spin. The idea of a custom tie really grabbed my attention, and I think that would be a fantastic gift. Cufflinks would also be great, however, most likely not used often unless your comrades favor french-cuffed shirts. Quality booze is also a great idea, and an personalized flask to match is fantastic.

When i married my beautiful wife my groomsmen were gifted a really nice tumbler of fine crystal with a pewter shield that i had engraved with their names . They all loved them and we used them as our salute.

I have no idea why knives are so popular with you guys. Here I leave them in the kitchen or run the risk of getting shot.

At the risk of sounding slightly gay, if you think you have to buy something, matching cufflinks.

A lot depends what these guys are into. I don't drink hard alcohol (well, almost never), so great scotch wouldn't do anything for me. A bottle of great wine would suit me perfectly, but I'd also point out that I'm picky about what wine I drink, so a "lesser" bottle would be appreciated for the sentiment, but perhaps not as much for the gift itself (if that makes sense).

I'm a big believer in getting something that people would like and use, so if you already know these guys are into wet shaving, why not get them something that you know they'll like? I'm very much a newbie, but I think it's pretty obvious that most everyone likes multiples of the standard equipment. To make it more personal, maybe you can get everyone a customized brush or something engraved.

Good luck with the big day and don't stress!

Corey

Weddings should be fun leave the stress at the door.

This!

I have received a nice engraved business card holder as a groomsman. For my wedding I bought an assortment of stuff. I had a flask/cigar holder combo in a leather pouch engraved (they were dirt cheap on clearance at Things Remembered and looked great). I also picked up some tumbler and beer glass sets (depending on who drank what). I then gave them each gift certificates to Omaha Steak (there's a local store here - not sure if they can be used online) as it was summer and they all enjoyed grilling. I also gave them each one of Fidel's finest, compliments of another friend. The irony is that I don't drink or smoke, so only the meat would have been of any interest to me.

Knowing and liking what I know now, I might have looked into a nice pen or even a watch if I had a little more money available (an Orient or something). I gave my father a Swiss Army watch (he'd been looking at them for years) that day for his support but couldn't swing it for the whole party.

as mentioned if would depend on the guys.. are they cuff link type guys? business card type guys, wine or beer guys, do they wear ties much? sports nuts? before you can really decide you need to know what they are into.

I'm getting married in January, and our "theme (god it sounds like prom) is music. But all of my groomsmen are musicians. But, I thought I wanted to get them a Man's man gift as I have gotten flasks, and knives, and crystal and ehhhhh... So, they're each getting a full pound of beef jerky (none of them are vegetarians) an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, and a concert dvd of their favorite bands. All up I spent about $40 a guy and considering some of them travelled to be a part of my wedding, well worth it. I already told my best man what I'm doing and he's already wishing I'd hurry up and get married LOL!

Top Bottom