What's new

Any information on this manufacturer? P. EISEMAN

Looking for any info on this manufacturer and the razors they made.

P. EISEMAN
616 N. Queen St., Lancaster, Pennsylvania
ca. 1906-1934

Thanks much
Bruce

Phil Eisemann
Lancaster Pa
German made Trademark E shield with PHILETSE across the middle.
Retailer? Models “Wheatland” "Inland City"
Known Razors “1 Known” Seen on SRP
Pictures & info invited

What I've found is that Philip Eisemann was a barber at 616 N. Queen Street in the city.
That was listed in "Bards & Co's Business Directory of Lancaster County" of 1897-1898.
Philese is another name stamped on razors as well. I think he was simply a barber that had razors made for him and his business. I have no idea who made the razors, but he wasn't a cutler or anything.
Check out:
LancasterHistory.org
Lancaster County - City Directories 1843-1900 Collection

JohnnyDemonic, thanks. I'm going to head over to the historical society hopefully this week some time. I live in Lancaster and where that place used to be is only a few blocks from where I live.. I just think it would be nice to find something from my town. A little piece of history.

Eisemann must have been a pretty successful barber because there is a decent amount of razors out there with his name on them. Check out the microfilm library, maybe he had an add in the newspaper. It would be nice if you could find an old photo or something to copy. If you can find the building now, it would be cool to snap a photo of it.

I lived in Willow Street while I went to college at Millersville. When I started messing around with straights I was excited to see that there was a razor from Lancaster or at least stamped Lancaster PA.

I don't know if you seen the collection of color photo's of NYC from 1940-41 that was recently published online. I think they were really cool to look at. The homeless people dressed better than most people do today. I know it's not Lancaster, but it's still pretty cool. How times have changed in New York City! Extraordinary colour photographs reveal 1940s life in the Big Apple in all its glory

I'll post what I find. The historical society is closed until the 27th for renovations etc. On my walk home tonight I'll see what's at that address now. I keep forgetting when I'm walking home.

Thanks for the link, pretty amazing. I've only been to NYC once or twice. I've seen a ton of old photos of lancaster from back in the day. You can still see a lot of the old in what is there now. Although they are doing their darndest to make it ugly.

JohnnyDemonic, thanks. I'm going to head over to the historical society hopefully this week some time. I live in Lancaster and where that place used to be is only a few blocks from where I live.. I just think it would be nice to find something from my town. A little piece of history.

I have a razor from Phil Eisemann Lancaster Pa . Made in Germany. Serv- U S. Blade is Stamp- 11 Lervis. The Lewis MFG. CO New York. Tortishell handle. case also has stamp Trade Philese Mark. I alsohave a razor that the cardboard case reads Eugene Berninghaus Co. Cincinnati,O. Price $2.25 Also has a stamp of an outline of a man, and says Hercules at bottom.Black case.Razor has stamp on it, George Wostenholm& Sons .Celebrated 1.Xl Razor. IXL Q.LXL Washington Works Shefield. Has blonde handle. Do You know anything about these razors?

Last edited:
I have a razor from Phil Eisemann Lancaster Pa . Made in Germany. Serv- U S. Blade is Stamp- 11 Lervis. The Lewis MFG. CO New York. Tortishell handle. case also has stamp Trade Philese Mark. I alsohave a razor that the cardboard case reads Eugene Berninghaus Co. Cincinnati,O. Price $2.25 Also has a stamp of an outline of a man, and says Hercules at bottom.Black case.Razor has stamp on it, George Wostenholm& Sons .Celebrated 1.Xl Razor. IXL Q.LXL Washington Works Shefield. Has blonde handle. Do You know anything about these razors?

Old thread, I know, but I want to add that I cleaned up an old strop, and while the soap was soaking in, I could read the faint writing. "Phil. Eiseman Lancaster, PA". Pretty cool strop. it is Shell/Cordovan leather and wide enough for the whole blade. Pics soon when I'm done with it.

Here is a picture of 616 N. Queen St Lancaster PA. This is where Phil Eisenmann's barber shop was. You can see that it still looks like a shop. I have 2 Eisenmann's that I bought from my great-uncle Tom's estate sale. He was a dentist in Lancaster. I grew up and still live in Lancaster too. Both razors were made in Germany. One is stamped with the Inland City mark on one side and Phil Eisenmann Lancaster PA Germany on the other side with white scales. The other razor is stamped "Eisenmann's Vanadium Steel " with a "Phileise" trademark shield on one side and the Phil Eisenmann Lancaster PA Germany on the other side with black scales. I have the original boxes for both razors too, which is a nice addition and carries the nostalgia of the heirloom with the razors too.

1587139511003.png

Top Bottom