What's new

Vacation Cabin

I am looking for recommendations for a place to vacation this fall/winter.
My wife and I are looking for a cabin to vacation to, we plan on staying a week and would like to do a few day hikes and maybe a little fishing while we are out there. We’re in St. Louis and would prefer to find some place out of state, maybe the Rockies or the Appalachian mountains.
Anybody have any recommendations? Where have you stayed that you enjoyed?
Thanks -BM

I had a great time in the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. It's in the Appalachians so there is great hiking, incredible scenery, and a ton of fun stuff to do. I didn't try to fish there so I can't say for sure what that would be like. I went in the fall and the color was stunning. There were four of us and a dog and we rented a cabin in the park itself for a very reasonable price. The cabin was rather rustic but had the basics: running water, indoor plumbing, heat, and a stove. From St. Louis the drive is 6 1/2 to 7 hours or so. You take I-64 almost the whole way.

For a bit of a longer drive there's also the Great Smoky Mountains. More like 8-9 hours depending on where exactly you're going.

Great call on Red River Gorge. Some of my buddies form college used to climb down there a couple of times a year. I'll be sure to check them out.

head directly west to Denver and then take the loop down around Durango, Telluride, etc.. Mesa Verde is a great place to explore. Depending when you go try to take the Durango/Silverton train ride. The fishing is outstanding all the way around. Great little creek runs right behind the downtown in Telluride.

Where did you eventually end up staying. I second the Kentucky suggestion. It is a beautiful state that it often overlooked.

http://www.mountainlaurelcabinrentals.com/vacation-rental-home.asp?PageDataID=42059

Located in thr far eastern corner ot Tennessee on the GA State line, about 5 miles from NC. THis is s super cabin, only minutes from horseback riding, whitewater rafting and many other activities....or you can just sit on the deck, gaze out over the mountains and relax. The accommodations here are wonderful; you won't be disappointed.
About 90 minutes east of Chattanooga and 2 hours north of Atlanta,

Top Bottom